View Full Version : This is the end

Paolo Ciccone
September 30th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Well, almost. Season 1's finale is out. Episode 13 brings you on on the set of CBS's "The Unit", with Krishna Rao and Giovanni Lampassi, DP and gaffer for the show. An eye-opening interview that shows that not all sets are based on tyranny and micromanagement but instead on trust and freedom of artistict espression. Krishna and Giovanni interview runs for about one hour. I decided to split it two to avoid lengthy downloads. This means that we will have an Episode 14 next week. And that will be really the end... of Season 1. Season 2 is already in the works so don't worry, "2nd Unit" will continue to bring you the top players of Hollywood's directly on your computer screen :)

Enjoy.

Gabriel Yeager
September 30th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Congrats, on making it thru season one! I'll go watch the footage now and then leave feedback.

~Gabriel~

Gabriel Yeager
September 30th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Congratulations, again! Great stuff. I can not wait until next week. I loved the intro scene! You did pretty good!

Jonathan, do you wear those clothes all the time? haha.
But no, really you guys did an awesome job. Thanks!
~Gabriel~

Paolo Ciccone
September 30th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Thank you Gabriel.

Gabriel Yeager
September 30th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Oh! I forgot. I was going to ask you, What three cameras do you use on the set? And what lights?

Thanks in advance!
~Gabriel~

Paolo Ciccone
September 30th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Oh! I forgot. I was going to ask you, What three cameras do you use on the set? And what lights?

If you look at the end of the video, after the end of the credits there are a few still photos that show the set from far back. We used the usual 3 JVC HD100 calibrated with my TrueColor 3 config and the set was lit both with the ambient light used by "The Unit" and a few 1x1 and a 2x2 LitePanels. I think that you can see the 2x2 in one of the stills.

Jonathan Ames
October 1st, 2006, 04:13 PM
No, I always wear flight ops suits!!!!!!!! Congrats to Paolo. Great job on the shots.

Paolo Ciccone
October 1st, 2006, 06:09 PM
Thank you boss :)

Gabriel Yeager
October 1st, 2006, 07:32 PM
No, I always wear flight ops suits!!!!!!!! Congrats to Paolo. Great job on the shots.

haha! You should. It looks good on you... :D

Thank you boss :)

How formal of you.
(OT) Do you mind if I ask, how you guys met, and came up with the idea of 2nd unit television doing interviews with pros?
I mean, I can take my guess's at these. But I would rather know the real thing.

Thanks guys!
~Gabriel~

Paolo Ciccone
October 1st, 2006, 08:33 PM
Well, 2nd Unit is the brainchild of Jonathan. I'll leave to him to explain how he came up with the idea. We met via the HD100 forums. J bought 6 HD100 prior to start 2nd Unit and he noticed my posts in the forum. The week before shooting the first episode he asked me if I wanted to be one of the 3 camera operators. I accepted and the rest is history :)

Jonathan Ames
October 1st, 2006, 10:36 PM
Actually it's a study in how valuable these boards are. Pure love of the craft is first and foremost here where people come together to give of themselves and their time to help others. Sure, there are the occasional jerks here and there that just want to talk to hear themselves talk and play the expert when they don't know the first thing about filmmaking but all-in-all, the people on these forums are wonderful people. The problem was that the advice I was finding was limited by the fact that the members were, for the most part, very experienced amateurs who had rarely set foot on a real sound strange. And when I say "real" I mean shows like 24 or NCIS or The Unit, Miami Vice, The Island and the like; places where the real pros live and work. Add to this the fact that, for the most part, the people who are really responsible for the look and feel and yes the success of most of those shows, the DPs, the Gaffers, the Best Boys who work "Below the Line" don't get the recognition they deserve much less the money they warrant and I thought how great it would be to bring people who really had a thirst for knowledge and a love for the art of making movies together with people who had learned to make shows like 24 and NCIS and the like really work. And that's how it all started.

So I put up the money to make the move to HD or more precisely HDV which I had to do anyway because of the production I was involved in demanded the move, buy alot of equipment and, being in the business for more years than I care to think of, made sure I could get people like George Spiro Dibie and other ASC people to appear with me. Then I made some more calls and found people like Paolo and Scott Chambers and Michael Ross and Jaime Emmanuelli a few others who care enough week after week to work the production of 2nd Unit into their already busy schedules and here we are. The idea was and is to move the experience of people like Rodney Charters and Jody Eldred and a hundred other friends I have over to the 150,000 independent filmmakers out there who don't have their experience. The idea is to preserve the art of filmmaking. The idea is to give others a chance to learn in an environment where the information being presented is honest and valid and not pushed by the marketing dollar. And the idea is to make a difference in a world where everywhere I looked, no one would do anything if there wasn't a big dollar ROI return on investment attached to it.

In the last six months since I started this project, I've made some of the best friends I've ever had. People who for some reason believed me when I said I didn't want anything in return except to see the light bulb go on over the heads of people who read my site. And pretty soon, my site and my vision and my idea became our site and our vision and our ideas and today 2nd Unit is growing leaps and bounds supported by some of the biggest names in the industry. Sony, Apple, Adobe, Tiffen, Fujinon and other up and comers like LitePanels who makes what I consider to be the best lighting available and Studio Direct Cosmetics which I can honestly say makes the world's best cosmetics that I'd put up against any...any of the big names head to head and cosmetics that the industry is using and using big time. These corporations have given us carte blanche into their worlds. They're supporting us with the money it takes to expand and the equipment it takes to expand. And before you ask, if you don't know by now, no, we select the equipment before we approach the manufacturers and ask them to come on board. As Paolo said, I bought 6 JVC 100HDs before I even told JVC what we were doing. Then, when we elected to step up the production to a full-fledged feature, we tested the available equipment and selected Sony as the camera of choice and Fujinon for the lenses we wanted. In both instances, our reputation for honesty and integrity and hard work preceded us and now both are rabid supporters of 2nd Unit. They don't tell us what we can and can't say but rather require that we keep on telling the truth. Could we have asked for an gotten a couple of F900s for the feature we're doing, El Papel? Yup. But we didn't want them because it would have been overkill. I asked for and received F350s; 1/2" cameras that we'll use to prove that this camera can do everything necessary to produce a great feature film/pilot and 13-week episodic dramatic series piloted by the experienced amateurs of this board and DVXUser.com.

The cast and crew are mostly all amateurs and I'm so excited to get it completed and out to Sony and the rest of the world that I can't sleep at night. And why? Because 2nd Unit revolves wholly around proving the importance of the basics of education provided by the guests that appear on 2nd Unit. It lives to dispel rumors that this camera or that lens can't be used for drama or that equipment limitation is the culprit of bad films. I'm excited to finish this project and move on to the next because there's no limit to the good people I come into contact with here and on other boards can do; people who have at their very core a need to help others improve their workproduct, a product which is a reflection of their very soul. That, in a nutshell is how we got started and where we're going. And we invite you to come on aboard. For 2nd Unit the reward is, most certainly, the journey. It may sound corny but we've earned the right over the last six months and 13 successful episodes to be corny.

Gabriel Yeager
October 2nd, 2006, 11:11 AM
Thank you. When (or if) You guys ever come to the northwest, be sure to let me know. I would be more then happy to jump aboard for a day.

Sorry if I am asking a million questions, but I have one last one.
What do you use for transportation? And how do you afford it? The gas prices got pretty high for a little bit. Thankfully they are starting to go down.

Thanks a bunch guys!
~Gabriel~

Paolo Ciccone
October 2nd, 2006, 01:53 PM
What do you use for transportation? And how do you afford it

Jonathan's drive:

http://www.2nd-unit.tv/images/excursion-s.jpg

As ou can see he's not too happy about fueling :) Here is the inside.

http://www.2nd-unit.tv/images/inside_excursion-s.jpg

The RV is great to load all the exquipment, get near the location and establish "base camp" there. Many times we get to the place the day before, sleep in there and start at 6:00am without having to commute.

Myself, I use a small Honda Civic, it has excellent mileage but still it costs me a few hundred dollars a month to drive it from Santa Cruz to LA. There are sacrifices that you need to do in order to build anything. Jonathan can tell you hist story, he sold an Internet company years ago. I am fortunate enough to have built a modest business (http://www.hellrisercustoms.com) that pays the bills and allows me to take time off to pursue new interests. It takes time to get to this point. Everybody has a different story, remember Rodriguez's story? How he sold his body to science for 1 month to get his original capital? :)

Gabriel Yeager
October 2nd, 2006, 05:57 PM
Cool. That thing has got to go thru the gas fast. But at least it looks comfortable.

I can't help but notice you had a couple macs in that picture. I use mac, and prefer it over all.

Your website is good, Paolo! It looks like it could be a fun job.
Thanks for sharing all this info!

~Gabriel~

Paolo Ciccone
October 2nd, 2006, 06:15 PM
C
I can't help but notice you had a couple macs in that picture. I use mac, and prefer it over all.

We like'em too. I'm an old Unix geek and became a convert when Mac OS X was introduced. The laptop that you see on the table is what I use to edit "2nd Unit. You can seem, hidden by the foam core, two Lacie external HDs used to store the footage. I love being able to move and bring my editing suite with me.

BTW, both photos were taken with a 15mm Canon fisheye, I then de-fished the photos with the free "DeFish" app.

Take care.

Jonathan Ames
October 2nd, 2006, 08:42 PM
Thanks, Paolo and all of you but while it's true we travel comfortably, it's for a reason and that is to make the cast and crew that unselfishly give of their time to make 2nd Unit a success as comfortable as possible. They work with the best equipment I can provide them and stay in the best places we can afford now. People like Scott Chambers, Jaime Emmanuelli, Michael Ross, Tip McPartland, Isabella von R, Mike Pellagatti of Wildvisions in Phoenix, George Spiro Dibie, Jody Eldred, Ken Fisher, Da-Iry, Rob Kositchek, Rodney Charters, Jeff Sheldon, Warren Schultz and the dozens of others who have contributed so much over the past 14 weeks to making the show what it has become and now opened the doors to the Team's first feature we'll be shooting together as a Unit, deserve the best I can give them. And with "El Papel" starting to roll in 2 weeks with the support of Sony, Fujinon, Apple, Adobe, Studio Direct, LitePanels and the others, comfort becomes even more important. I really can't tell you how important it is to give back. What I do is a purely selfish endeavor. What some people feel when they get a pay check is no different than what I get when someone says, "Hey, thanks for teaching me" or "giving me the shot" or whatever. I really can't express how much this business means to me and how good teaching what I have learned over the years makes me feel. The friendships Joyce and I have built with these people, especially Paolo and Jaime, Scott and Michael, people that I work with day after day, night after night, week after week, is immeasurable and we'll keep doing it until you quit tuning in. That's all I have to say so again, if anyone wants to join the team, the doors are always open and everyone you'll find here will give you our best...not because we can afford to but because you deserve it for giving of your time to others through 2nd Unit and dvinfo.net.

Gabriel Yeager
October 2nd, 2006, 10:20 PM
Thanks. I just might have to take you up on your offer to help... but I think it will still be few years before I am able to reach that point. I cannot drive for one thing, I don't have a job to be able to afford anything, and for a few more reasons, I have only touched a minidv camera once, I have only used Imovie for editing, and so on. I can only hope that I will be able to get a little bit more money so I can afford a camera and editing system (I'm almost there, Another $150 to go)...

Once I get a little experience and learn some things so that I can be of use to you (physically helpful), I would love to jump aboard (if your still around)!

Thanks again guys!
~Gabriel~

Jonathan Ames
October 2nd, 2006, 11:19 PM
OK so here's the deal. It's never too early to start learning. Send me your address off-line and I'll send you the $150 you're short to get your camera plus $5. The $5 is for a flashlight that I want you to buy with your camera. BUT there are a couple of conditions, though. First, while you're learning how to use your camera, I want you to use the flashlight against the walls in your room to see how the light dances off them. Then I want you to practice holding different shapes between the light and the wall to see how separation works. Then I want you to go get some different colored saran wrap; nothing dark just lightly colored and I want you to put it over the flashlight and use it to compliment the light and create additional separation. And one last thing. You stick with it and these boards asking questions when you don't understand and you study. The library system is a wonderful repository of information and I'd suggest "Reflections" as your first book. And don't just read through it. Read it, referring to the drawings in each chapter until you understand what the great cinematographers are trying to tell you. Believe me. It's not over your head. If I and the rest of us can understand it, so can you. If your library doesn't have a copy, then I will gladly send you one autographed by one of the greatest cinematographers I know, George Spiro Dibie. So there you have it. Deal or no deal?

Gabriel Yeager
October 3rd, 2006, 11:27 AM
Oh, thats ok! Thank you tho! I would feel bad doing that.
I do make an allowance, its just not much... I'm trying to sell some things so that I can get the money even faster. But I should be able to have it before christmas, even if I don't sell anything. Plus my brother has offered me to take a loan from him, so I can get it now and then pay him back once a few more items sell (would happen to be looking for a 55gal. aquarium?).

I promise you tho, that I will stick to it, and practice, and keep posting on this forum.

Thanks for being so nice and helpful to me! You are a great person! Thanks.
~Gabriel~

PS: Once I get the camera, I'll try what you said here.

John Kang
October 3rd, 2006, 05:10 PM
BTW, both photos were taken with a 15mm Canon fisheye, I then de-fished the photos with the free "DeFish" app.

Take care.

That apps pretty nice. Does it work on the PC side as well? Is it a photoshop app?

Man, crusing around in the Luxury RV, where's the Cristal and bevy of music video girls? Sorry, been watching too many music videos.

Paolo Ciccone
October 3rd, 2006, 06:04 PM
That apps pretty nice. Does it work on the PC side as well? Is it a photoshop app?
It's a stand-alone app and it runs only on Mac. There are probably similar programs for the PC, do a Google search.
BTW, we do move with a nice Rv but... we load and unload a crapload of stuff in sweltering heat, work loooong hours and many times the crew call is at 6:00am. So, it's not all luxury and living large, it's really hard work :)

Jeff Sayre
October 7th, 2006, 09:12 AM
What a great season finale! Congratulations on yet another wonderful, educational episode and on an unqualified successful first season.

I've been way too busy with my own projects the past 2 months but have kept up with the on goings of 2nd Unit TV. Your project is an inspiration to me. It has helped me refocus my efforts and to keep my eye on the prize.

I'm looking forward to season two and the day when I actually meet all of you on set.

Paolo Ciccone
October 7th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Thank you Jeff.

We all look forward to meeting you.

Joe Carney
October 8th, 2006, 06:34 PM
One minor thing about the 'Unit'. I'ts Afghanistan, not afganastan, or is that the politically correct version? (Just kidding folks).

Paolo Ciccone
October 8th, 2006, 09:35 PM
One minor thing about the 'Unit'. I'ts Afghanistan, not afganastan, or is that the politically correct version? (Just kidding folks).
Hey Joe.
The whiteboard that you see in the background is the actual board from the show, we didn't write on it. We started shooting at about 9:30pm, after Krishna and Giovanni spent the whole day recording a new episode. We placed cameras , lights and chairs but we left everything else untouched
Good spotting, though :)

Joe Carney
October 9th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Hey Joe.
The whiteboard that you see in the background is the actual board from the show, we didn't write on it. We started shooting at about 9:30pm, after Krishna and Giovanni spent the whole day recording a new episode. We placed cameras , lights and chairs but we left everything else untouched
Good spotting, though :)

Conspiracy nuts are going to have a field day if it makes to broadcast without correction. No one wants to believe a bunch of highly paid, top notch professionals can't spell. :-))!

Paolo Ciccone
October 9th, 2006, 01:26 PM
But maybe that's part of the plot ;)

Ken Diewert
October 12th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Hey guys,

Although I've been a member here for 8 months or so, that's the first time I've checked out this forum. Great Job! I really enjoyed the current episode, and will check out some 'back issues'.

Thanks for the great resource. Keep up the good work.

Paolo Ciccone
October 12th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Thank you Ken.

Glad you found "2nd Unit"