View Full Version : Cinema Display slow to turn on?

Carlos San Roman
October 2nd, 2006, 11:54 PM
Has anyone had this problem?

I have a G5 and a 23" HD Cinema Display that are about 4 months old. Up until a week ago the display would fire up about 5 seconds after I turned on the computer. Now it take 10 minutes or not at all. I've tried resetting the displays power button but that did not seem to work either.

Thanks,

Carlos

Boyd Ostroff
October 3rd, 2006, 07:01 AM
Never saw that problem on mine. It could be an issue with either the graphics card, LCD screen or its power supply. For staters I would try connecting another screen to the computer and see what happens. If that's OK, see if you can plug the cinema display into another computer.

Carlos San Roman
October 5th, 2006, 12:35 AM
It turns out I had a bad power supply on the Cinema Display. The wierd thing was that if I unpluged it for about an hour and then pluged it back in, it would work. Which was why I was getting so pissed because every time I took it in to Apple it would work fine. I'd bring it home and it would work (the first time), but every time I would try to restart it... no go! Very strange!

Carlos

Les Wilson
October 6th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Power supplies do go bad. I had one go bad on a 17" display and two G4's (after 6 years). Display symptom was that it would turn off and on. Unplugging it for a second or two would stabilize. Eventually, it just went out. Heat is the enemy of electronics. If your supply is tucked away without ventilation like mine was, caveat emptor.