View Full Version : Flip 4Mac Problems

Dan Brazda
October 3rd, 2006, 06:48 AM
Version 2 for XDCam...Want to use it for its Gig Ethernet capability to speed up ingest. When importing XDCam HD shot at 24p I get a frame size of 1440 x 2180. Huh? Anyone else seeing this?

Greg Boston
October 3rd, 2006, 01:43 PM
Yes, Nate Weaver and myself saw this when we were trying to find a workaround last summer. If you set up the deck as a network device, you should be able to select it from the XDCAM Transfer source menu on the left side of the screen.

You shouldn't need Flip4Mac at this point with the FCP 5.1.2 upgrade.

-gb-

Dan Brazda
October 3rd, 2006, 02:23 PM
Wow, that would be great if it works over Gig-Ethernet. I'll try it tomorrow morning and report back. Thanks!

Dan Brazda
October 4th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Greg, how did you setup your deck as a Network device? Did you need third party software to do it, if so what? My deck is hooked up to our network and I can access it via Flip4Mac but not XDCam Transfer. It doesn't show up via "Go-Network" on my Mac either even though it has an assigned IP.

Greg Boston
October 4th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Greg, how did you setup your deck as a Network device? Did you need third party software to do it, if so what? My deck is hooked up to our network and I can access it via Flip4Mac but not XDCam Transfer. It doesn't show up via "Go-Network" on my Mac either even though it has an assigned IP.

I don't have the deck, but if it has ethernet, then it should somehow be mountable as a network drive. Once you get that to happen, XDCAM Transfer should list it in the left column. I'll look into the matter further. I am fairly certain that XDCAM Transfer should see the deck. Perhaps, like the firewire connection, you need to install a device driver. I thought the FAM driver would allow the deck to be recognized by the system no matter which port it showed up on.

I'll make a phone call or two and see if I can get you headed in the right direction.

-gb-

Dan Brazda
October 4th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Thanks Greg. Someone told me I needed ftp software. Not sure if that's true because Flip4Mac sees the deck without any 3rd party ftp software. Let me know what you find out.

Greg Boston
October 4th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Thanks Greg. Someone told me I needed ftp software. Not sure if that's true because Flip4Mac sees the deck without any 3rd party ftp software. Let me know what you find out.

It's possible that the Flip4Mac plugin has an FTP protocol built in. There are a couple ways that this could be implemented. What does the F70's documentation have to say in regards to ethernet connections?

-gb-

Dan Brazda
October 4th, 2006, 02:02 PM
I'm not at our facility right now but from memory ... the ethernet board is an optional board on the F30/F70. The instructions do refer to ftp software and what should be used as username and password to access the deck. Guess I'll need to look into some ftp software afterall. I was just confused because Flip4Mac recognized the deck right away- like you said, it must have ftp protocol built-in. Sony XDCam Transfer version 2 perhaps?

Greg Boston
October 4th, 2006, 02:19 PM
I'm not at our facility right now but from memory ... the ethernet board is an optional board on the F30/F70. The instructions do refer to ftp software and what should be used as username and password to access the deck. Guess I'll need to look into some ftp software afterall. I was just confused because Flip4Mac recognized the deck right away- like you said, it must have ftp protocol built-in. Sony XDCam Transfer version 2 perhaps?

So that means the deck has an FTP server built in and you'll need an FTP client. There are several good ones and some are even free. But that means you'll be bringing entire files from the deck to hard disk. Hmmm, not the solution I was hoping to hear. Actually, you could create a clip list using the deck which will give you a single file with only the parts you want. Then you FTP that file to your hard drive and unwrap/re-wrap to QT with XDCAM Transfer. You'll have only one file to bring into FCP and the rough edit will already be done.

-gb-

Dan Brazda
October 4th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Found a few freebies on the internet. Will take this all for a test drive tomoorrow and report back. If it weren't for the funky frame size issues with Flip4Mac that would be the solution I'm looking for bacause you could set ins and outs, rename clips...etc...but much faster transfer rate than firewire.