View Full Version : Before I make the jump

Jim Montgomery
October 4th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Has anyone come up with a definitive decision on which lens to use on the 350? I was looking at Canon's XDCAM HD 1/2" 20:1 LENS KH20X64KRS. Shooting with a Z1 now and would really like to see Discovery/ESPN type quality ;)

Simon - thanks for the article on Vegas 7.0, one hurdle overcome.

Jim

Greg Penetrante
October 4th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Has anyone come up with a definitive decision on which lens to use on the 350? I was looking at Canon's XDCAM HD 1/2" 20:1 LENS KH20X64KRS. Shooting with a Z1 now and would really like to see Discovery/ESPN type quality ;)

Jim

Jim,

The Canon is a great lens. That would be a fine choice. Also check out the Fuji S19x6.5 as well, because it was pretty darn close to the Canon at a third the price...

cheers,
-greg

Nate Weaver
October 4th, 2006, 09:52 PM
6.4 is barely wide enough for most uses, in my opinion.

I'd think the Fuji XS5.5 would be better choice, if on a budget.

David Mintzer
October 4th, 2006, 11:17 PM

Jim

Jim, what do you intend to shoot with a 350?

Greg Penetrante
October 4th, 2006, 11:47 PM
6.4 is barely wide enough for most uses, in my opinion.

I'd think the Fuji XS5.5 would be better choice, if on a budget.

nate,

how much is that XS5.5? It is under $9000? ;-)

best,
-greg

Nate Weaver
October 4th, 2006, 11:50 PM
If I'm not confusing with another lens, it can be had for around $7900.

Jim Montgomery
October 5th, 2006, 05:35 AM
David

I do hunting and fishing video both for broadcast and trade show promos. So 30p and over/under cranking is important. Currently I shoot the Z1 with Cine 30, capture with Cineform as progressive, and treat the timeline as progressive. Slow motion is achieved with AE using time warp. The direct to disk is great. Shooting 5 minutes of footage to get 10 - 15 seconds of a jumping fish seems like a complete waste of tape, plus edit time, disk space etc.

Jim

David Mintzer
October 5th, 2006, 06:03 AM
David

I do hunting and fishing video both for broadcast and trade show promos. So 30p and over/under cranking is important. Currently I shoot the Z1 with Cine 30, capture with Cineform as progressive, and treat the timeline as progressive. Slow motion is achieved with AE using time warp. The direct to disk is great. Shooting 5 minutes of footage to get 10 - 15 seconds of a jumping fish seems like a complete waste of tape, plus edit time, disk space etc.

Jim

Sounds like the XCAMHD will definately work for you.