View Full Version : Anyone Using Ethernet?

Dan Brazda
October 5th, 2006, 07:15 AM
To transfer footage from XDCam HD decks? What ftp software are you using? I'm striking out left and right here. CuteFTP, Fetch...nothing recognizes my deck. Flip4Mac sees it with no problem but it has it's own issues with importing 24p footage. There has to be someone out there using Gig-E vs firewire. Help!

Dan Brazda
October 5th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Okay my post was a bit premature. I can get CuteFTP to work but it's a 2 step process. You need to copy the MXF files to your hard drive and then import then into FCP via XDCam Transfer. Not sure if I'm really saving any time when compared to firewire/XDCam Transfer but I guess the convenience of sharing a deck over our network is worth it.

Greg Penetrante
October 5th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Okay my post was a bit premature. I can get CuteFTP to work but it's a 2 step process. You need to copy the MXF files to your hard drive and then import then into FCP via XDCam Transfer. Not sure if I'm really saving any time when compared to firewire/XDCam Transfer but I guess the convenience of sharing a deck over our network is worth it.

Dan,

Thanks for the info. is the xfer as fast as a FAM xfer from the deck?

-Greg

Dan Brazda
October 5th, 2006, 02:13 PM
The copy from deck to hard drive is much faster than FAM connection but the catch is you still have to unwrap the MXFs via XDCam Transfer to get them into FCP. That process is also quite fast (about 2X) but it would be nice if XDCam Transfer Version 2 had ftp protocal built in so you could just do everything in one step. It's still nice to have a shared deck networked to multiple computers.

Greg Boston
October 5th, 2006, 04:00 PM
The copy from deck to hard drive is much faster than FAM connection but the catch is you still have to unwrap the MXFs via XDCam Transfer to get them into FCP. That process is also quite fast (about 2X) but it would be nice if XDCam Transfer Version 2 had ftp protocal built in so you could just do everything in one step. It's still nice to have a shared deck networked to multiple computers.

Dan, I did get a call back this morning from the correct Sony person. I will send you his email address so that you can contact him directly. He knows XDCAM and FCP very well.

-gb-