View Full Version : GL2 sharpness

Thomas Fraser
October 9th, 2006, 06:24 PM
I find that my GL2 is not really give that sharp of an image in wide angle setting.
I also find that close up , or zoomed in, is a lot sharper then wide shoot. Is this normal or am I asking too much from the equipment I have.
I also find that when I burn a DVD, with Adobe Premiere Pro, that it is no where as sharp as a store bought DVD.
Thank you

Don Palomaki
October 10th, 2006, 04:30 AM
The image resolution is limited to roughly 500 video lines (720 pixels wide) regardless of zoom setting. So in general wide shots will show less detail and this may give the impression of being less sharp.

However, it is possible that your camcorder have a back focus adjustment (an internal service adjustment) that can cuse an outo of focus situation at some zoom settings and distances.

On DVD burning, there are many variable in the proces that can influence the sharpness. That includes the bit-rate available, complexity of the image, amount of motion, and the quality of the compression software. Commercial DVD such as movies use high end compression software, high resolution source material, and high bit rates for outstanding results - results that you cannot duplicate with moderate priced software and hardware such as Premiere and the GL2. That said, you should be able to produce a DVD that yields an image very close to the original video GL2 you used, if you use the high bit rate settings.