View Full Version : 35mm film footage to FCP workable format

Simon Reilly
October 13th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Maybe this is not the right forum for this , but I have searched and found no information on my question.
I have a client with approx 8 days of film footage , 35 mm film, he is not sure of the exact type of film. It was shot 10 years ago !
The client wants this edited and put on two DVDs.
My question is when approaching a digital house what format should I ask for it to be converted to. I would like to keep the image as close as possible to the look of the 35mm, but I assume there will be a loss of qualtiy while downconverting.
Also would the results of me actually projecting the footage [providing I can get a 35mm film projector] , and shoot it on a JVC HD 100, be just asking for trouble. Sure I would save on the cost of a production house doing the conversion, and have a digestable format for FCP, but at what expense to the footage .
thanks

simon reilly

Nick Jushchyshyn
October 13th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Just have the a place like 3516.com telecine the film to a Quicktime MOV.

http://3516.com/35mm.html

(I've never heard of this site until searching google for "35mm telecine MOV" in reponse to this thread. No idea about their services, prices or quality. Just using this example because they were near the top of the results lists. :p )

Stephen L. Noe
October 13th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Maybe this is not the right forum for this , but I have searched and found no information on my question.
I have a client with approx 8 days of film footage , 35 mm film, he is not sure of the exact type of film. It was shot 10 years ago !
The client wants this edited and put on two DVDs.
My question is when approaching a digital house what format should I ask for it to be converted to. I would like to keep the image as close as possible to the look of the 35mm, but I assume there will be a loss of qualtiy while downconverting.
Also would the results of me actually projecting the footage [providing I can get a 35mm film projector] , and shoot it on a JVC HD 100, be just asking for trouble. Sure I would save on the cost of a production house doing the conversion, and have a digestable format for FCP, but at what expense to the footage .
thanks

simon reilly
You'd have to think at Targa or TIFF sequence would be the best option. Is there sound with the film?

Richard Alvarez
October 13th, 2006, 02:54 PM
IF you plan to deliver in 24p DVD then have them telecine transfer at 23.9. You can cut in FCP and deliver, no problem.

Is there audio? You'll need to synch the audio files with the video transfers.

Simon Reilly
October 13th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Thank you all for your very helpfull responses, yes there is sound , and I have just been told , that in fact this was a 4 camera shoot ! over 8 days.
I think this is going to be very expensive for my client.
thank you again, I shall obviously be on this forum again soon

simon reilly