View Full Version : Edius 4 Review

Paul Wags
October 20th, 2006, 08:45 AM
We have our EDIUS 4 review up now for those that are interested.

We find it works very good with our HDV underwater footage.

http://www.hdvunderwater.com/edius.html

Enjoy
Paul Wags

Mark Williams
October 20th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Paul,

That was a really thorough review. I have been using the trial version of Edius 4 for about 2 weeks now and am really impressed. Although I wanted to try out editing some .mfx files but this codec was not included. I hear it is included on the Broadcast version but I don't think they have a trial version of it available.

Regards,

Brent Graham
October 20th, 2006, 11:06 AM
So it's faster and higher quality than cineform?

Hmmm...I love my premiere pro 2, but if this is in fact true...

Dang, when does the spending stop?!

Mark Williams
October 20th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Paul,

Since you have Eduis working optimally what do you think of this computer setup.

CASE: Thermaltake VA7000BWA Shark Series Black, No PS
PS: Thermaltake W0062 420W ATX Silent PurePower ATX V2.0 Power
MB: ASUS P5W DH DELUXE, CORE 2 DUAL/SKT775/ 975X/ DUAL CORE/
CROSSFIRE/FSB1066/ DDR2/ SATA2/WIFI/DUAL GBLAN
CPU: Intel E6400 P4 CORE 2 DUO LGA775 2.1G ** 2M/1066MHz BOX CPU,
MEMORY: Crucial 1GB ,512MBX2, DDR2-667 PC2-5300 Memory
HDD1: Seagate 120G SATA II 7200RPM 8MB HDD, system drive
HDD2: Seagate 250G SATA II 7200RPM 8MB HDD, video storage drive
DVD: PLEXTOR PX-760A-BL 18X DVD+RW/-RW BLACK
Video NVIDIA Quadro FX 560 with breakout box

What I'am thinking is using two 19" LCD monitors and 1 NTSC monitor via the s-video breakout box.

Regards,

Gary Bettan
October 20th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Great job Paul!!

I posted a link to it on our blog today http://www.videoguys.com/blog/index.php

Gary

Mark Williams
October 20th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Gary,

Do you likewise have any input on the system specs. I have listed. I noticed you sell the FX560 card.

Regards,

Paul Wags
October 20th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Hi Mark
CORE 2 DUAL, great.
RAM 1 GIG, get another GIG.
SATA drives are good but get a bigger one. 250 GIG will fill up in no time.

Quadro FX 560 card. It has two ports on it but....
One is to drive the first LCD screen.
The second port can feed out to a TV/ HDTV or other VGA screen.

Two get twin screens and the TV out you need a third port. I used the onboard 128 meg graphics port that my monther board had to drive the second screen leaving the second port on the FX card to feed the TV.

Hope that helps.

Paul

Mark Williams
October 20th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Thanks Paul

Gary Bettan
October 23rd, 2006, 10:01 AM
Mark,
we are in the process of testing and writing our DIY 5 article. it is a conroe based system and it is blazing fast.

ASUS P5WDH
CONROE E6700 BX805576700 2.66
Kingston 1GB 240pin DDR2 PC2 6400 (x2) KHX6400D2/1G
ATI X1900 XTX 512mb radeon
WD2500KS 250gb sata
Hitachi 250 (x2) RAID-0
Thermaltake Eureka VC8000BWA
500w Power Supply
Win Xp Pro

The case is very big, but it is SO QUIET! Looks pretty cool as well.

We went with the ATI card becuase we're going to be installing a Matrox RT.X2 into it.

Gary

Paul Wags
October 24th, 2006, 04:47 AM
Hey Gary.

Cheers again for posting the link on your site, did not expect that.

We are cutting up our new Underwater DVD now with EDIUS shot with our HDV camera's and the more I use it the more I like it.

We had to do a 5 min DV piece for AUS TV the other day and as some shots were in HDV res already on the computer, we just sucked in the extra material as mini DV 16.9 and edited the whole thing in the 1440/1080-50i timeline. Rendered out a DV file and sent it back to the camera.

Really looking forward to a Core2Duo or Quad in the not to distant future.

Adam Letch
October 24th, 2006, 05:33 PM
always nice to see other Aussies on the forum. I'm in the market at the moment for an editing system, still haven't made up my mind, I downloaded the Edius demo, but it doesn't work as it automatically says that its expired after I just installed it for the 1st time.
What are you cutting on, does the codec the review is talking about act like Cineform, meaning a less top end machine will let you cut HDV?

What stuff are you shooting up there, and with what?

Cheers

Adam

Paul Wags
October 24th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Hello Adam
Did you change your clock settings in your BIOS or on your computer after you installed it?

Yes the Canopus HQ codec is like what Aspect HD does. That is as the HDV is being firewired into the compter, it gets converted on the fly to the new codec for easy editing with.

I cannot get realtime conversion with Aspect but I can with Canopus HQ with my 3 GIG HT PC.

Also the Canopus HQ seems to handel CC better and encodes out m2t files better as well.

Go read my review and you will also see what we shoot with and do.

Cheers

Paul Wags
November 1st, 2006, 08:46 AM
Just thought I would add some more info.

We are 20 minutes into our new Ningaloo Reef underwater DVD and have to say that EDIUS is working really well with the HDV material.

As we are just sucking in whole tapes we soon filled the drives, so we use it's neat feature to consolidate the project that compressed the edited timeline down to just 27 GIGS for the first section of the edit. Then went back and deleted a heap of material from the drives then sucked in more footage and continued still being able to edit the first parts if needed.

Whole 60 min tapes in just 60 mins to the Canopus HQ codec with just our 3 GIG PC.

We even upconverted some 4.3 mini DV to to 1440/1080 and slipped it in.
Here is an example of a 4.3 upconverted clip.
http://www.hdvunderwater.com/videoclips/spawn.wmv 8 megs in size

The CC control and Chrominace is great allowing us to blue up the water in the background while enhancing the forground in shots.

Very happy with it.

John Richard
November 7th, 2006, 10:08 AM
I believe another advantage of the Canopus HQ codec is that it can now be converted in the Edius Bin to carry an Alpha Channel. I understand that the Cineform codecs (Aspect/Prospect) do not support Alpha. Please correct me if what I've read about the Cineform codec/alpha is wrong.

Randy Donato
November 8th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Cineform codec will not carry alpha since it is has a pixel bit depth of 24...Canopus HQ is 32 which has the headroom for alpha. The amazing part is how it doesn't really slow the RT down(like 32 bit uncompressed) and the quality is very good. The codec can be used in other apps like AE as well for alpha work. The good news is the addition of alpha suport in the codec is the beginning of better alpha implementation in Edius as well.