View Full Version : Broken GS100 -> ccd image issue

Phillip Burns
October 23rd, 2006, 07:39 PM
A few years back there's a bunch of people in this forum who bought the GS100 from japan. Back in 2004, following great reviews and feedback here, I bought the GS100. I have used the cam very infrequently, I took this cam to a vacation in FL a few weeks ago, that's when I noticed the red green picture problem. Apparently there is some sort of recall on these camcorders due to a problem with the ccd, I saw some sample pics on the Australian Pana website which is similar to my cam's results.

I called Panasonic USA 800 no and was given a number to a place in Los Angeles called Audio Service Center who the person at Pana USA said can fix JP model. However when I called ASC they said they have no idea of GS100 (spoke to Michael/Mark) and thus can't fixed it. And no, Pana USA didn't give me any other address, apparently the one in LA is supposed to be able to fix overseas models.

At this point I just want to know who can fix and how much will it cost.

To all of you GS100 owners, how do you get it fixed? Any positive experience and costs?

Thanks a bunch, you are all very helpful.

Leigh Wanstead
October 24th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Hi Phillip,

Can you give me a url link to the problem you mentioned?

TIA

Regards
Leigh

Kris Tomasson
October 25th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Hi Phillip,

I just got my GS100K back from being repaired today for the recall problem.

When my GS100K failed with the red/green ccd problem, I also called Panasonic USA support. At first I got someone that had no idea about how to handle repairs for a Japanese model camcorder. Eventually, when I explained about the recall, they gave me the number to their main service center for DV camcorders. I called there, explained the situation, and although they also had no knowledge of the camcorder or recall, they instructed me to send the camcorder to them. They said they would have a look and repair it (if possible), and contact Panasonic Japan for info on the recall to decide on whether or not I would be charged for the repair.

The next day I packed the camera up and at the last minute, I had second thoughts about sending it in. I figured that I would prefer to have someone repair it who was knowledgeable about the recall and not risk being charged for something that is an obvious manufacturing defect.

So I wound up sending it to a friend in Japan who took it to a Panasonic service center. It took about a week to repair and there was no charge for the recall procedure. I got the GS100K back today and it is as good as new. All I wound up paying for was the shipping to and from Japan (about $80).

I think sending your GS100K back to Japan is the best way to guarantee a proper repair. Otherwise I would try calling Panasonic again and see if they will give you the number to the service center they gave me. Unfortunately, I threw out the number and address to the Panasonic service center that was willing to take it in for repair. I remember it was somewhere in the south-east US. I am in California so the service center was not based on my location, but rather it was some sort of main service center for camcorders.

Here is the link to the Japanese Panasonic page that details the recall (in Japanese).

http://panasonic.jp/support/video/faq/wb/index.html

Hope that helps.

Kris

Leigh Wanstead
October 26th, 2006, 03:30 AM
Hi Kris,

That is pretty sad. It seems the problem similar to Sony ccd's issue. Glad gs400 does not in that list.

BTW, does that recall will cover out of warranty cameracord?

TIA

Regards
Leigh

Phillip Burns
October 27th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Kris,

would you be able to give me a few pointers as to what did your friend do to get it fixed, places, phone numbers to call etc or is it mainly the number in the japanese recall page? I assume the Pana service center will depend on the location of where you are, i.e. major cities probably have locations in down town, no?

The reason I asked is that I have that opportunity presented to me in the next few weeks. A family I know will be travelling to Japan and stay there for 1-2 weeks maybe longer. As such they're tourist and first time in Japan, fixing my cam is probably not the top priority on their list. I just want to explain to them and make it as simple as possible for them so that hopefully I can get my cam fixed without major screw ups. And they don't speak Japanese!

Anyway, if you want to, you can pm me with any additional info or post it here. I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Phil

Leigh Wanstead
October 27th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Hi Phillip,

Why not contact the Japanese shop who sold you your camera? Maybe they will pass your camera to Panasonic Japan. I thought Japanese warranty is universal in Japan for japanese consumer.

Regards
Leigh

Kris Tomasson
October 29th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Hi Phillip,

Here is the address to the Panasonic service center in Tokyo where my GS100 was repaired...

Matsushita Technical Service
MID Shiba Kanesugibashi Building 1F
Shiba 1-4-3
Minato-ku Tokyo 105-0014

Hope you get yours repaired.

Kris

Phillip Burns
November 1st, 2006, 07:47 PM
Kris, thanks for the address. I'll try my luck and hopefully let you guys know how I'm doing with the repair, it's still 2-3 more months and maybe another month or two after that before I got my cam back, Spring 2007!

Andrew Hall
November 20th, 2006, 09:13 AM
I just posted earlier today, as I bought a used GS100K and noticed that red images would periodically appear on the screen, but not for a long period of time ever.

Here is my post: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=80030

There are also wierd blue images coming from light sources.

Does this sound as though it may be the ccd issue?

Thanks for any input,
Andrew