View Full Version : Timelapse computation and other tips

Carroll Lam
October 4th, 2006, 10:13 PM
The F350 has a great timelapes function. I've put together a table that enables one to quickly derive the collection time involved for any of the "set" number of collection intervals. The playback time for a given amount of collection time can also be derived.

You can download the computation table here:

http://www.clamcamvideo.com/Other/XDCam_Timelapse.pdf

Carroll Lam

Alister Chapman
October 5th, 2006, 01:16 AM
Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Carroll Lam
October 5th, 2006, 11:34 AM
You're welcome!

Carroll Lam

Nate Weaver
October 5th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Printed and put in my portabrace!

I should go to Kinkos and have it laminated...

Dan Brazda
October 5th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Great stuff! You wouldn't happen to have one based on 24fps rather than 30 would you? Sorry, gettin' greedy here.

Carroll Lam
October 5th, 2006, 02:30 PM
I always print a "working copy" of my camcorder's user manual (2 pages per page so it's thinner) and keep it in the camcorder case. I have this timelapse page bound in with it.

Laminating it also a good idea. I do this for my shooting "checklists" that I velcro to the camcorder for ready access.

You might also fine the pdf below of some benefit also. With it you can determine the field-of-view for a given lens focal length for different image sizes. Overlaid on this particular table are the characteristics of the lenses for my various cameras.

http://www.clamcamvideo.com/Other/Angle_of_View3.pdf

Thanks for the feedback!

Carroll Lam

Carroll Lam
October 5th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Great stuff! You wouldn't happen to have one based on 24fps rather than 30 would you? Sorry, gettin' greedy here.

Surre. Just multiply all the time numbers by 1.25. :-)

Carroll Lam

Carroll Lam
October 12th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Just a note to say that I have been very pleased with the performance of my Blackmagic Design HDLink converter for converting the HDSDI video out of the F350 into DVI video for display on my Dell 24" HD monitor.

The nice thing about the HDLink is that it also extracts 2-channel audio also.

The video looks stunning on the Dell monitor.

You can read about the HDLink here: http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/hdlink/

I have no financial interest in the device other than as a satisfied user.

Carroll Lam

Carroll Lam
October 14th, 2006, 01:50 PM
It would appear that no one has commented on the F330/F30 tutorial DVD from HandsOn. You can read about the DVD here:

http://www.handsonhd.com/index.html

I can highly recommend the DVD. I learned several important things from the DVD that aren't covered in the user manual plus several tips and tricks for better use of these sophisticated cameras are included.

I have no interest in either HandsOn or Vortex Media other than as a satisfied customer.

Carroll Lam

Brian Jansen
October 14th, 2006, 04:55 PM
agreed..... I have it and recommend it as well.

Carroll Lam
October 14th, 2006, 05:21 PM
The top of the F330/F350 is pretty skimpy when it comes to mounting holes for accessories.

I have found that the VFGadgets handle bracket for the Sony HVR-Z1U fits perfectly on the handle of the F350. You can see the bracket here:

http://www.vfgadgets.com/HDVbracket.htm

I had purchased the bracket for my Z1U and got the tip for trying on the F350 from VFGadgets themselves.

Carroll Lam

Nigel Cooper
October 14th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Likewise, if you are new to XDCAM HD and don't know much about it this DVD encapsulates it nicely. Don't expect any camera shooting techniques though, it is purely a visual instruction manual for those who would rather sit and watch a DVD for 90 minutes as opposed to spending 3 hours reading the manual. I have it and can recommend it, but if you already own XDCAM HD and have been using it for a few weeks this DVD will show you nothing you won't have figured out by now.

Rob Stiff
October 15th, 2006, 10:19 PM
The DVD is great. I think it is more of a feel good DVD making one realize the purchase value of the HD XDCAM being the ultimate ENG HD camera.

Are there any other good training DVDs one could recommend out there on
shooting techniques?

Carroll Lam
October 16th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Are there any other good training DVDs one could recommend out there on
shooting techniques?

I bought these several years ago and found them quite informative:

http://www.elitevideo.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=26

Carroll Lam

Carroll Lam
October 24th, 2006, 04:47 PM
I found out something today, in discussion with Sony tech support, that you may already know.

If you have some variable setting, say DETAIL LEVEL on P05, set to some non-default value and you hold the rotary menu button IN for about 3 secs, while DETAIL LEVEL is shown selected on the menu, the value will revert to 0, or the "factory default" value.

In fact, it seems that this action will return any menu value to its "factory default" setting.

So it would it would seem this would be a quick way to determine if any particular menu setting is different than the default setting. Basically an individual parameter RESET function.

Cool.

Carroll Lam

Mark McCarthy
February 7th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Hi Carroll
Hope all is well.
I am getting a F350 next week and a HDLink box too.
I understand that I need a HDMI to HDMI lead to go from HDlink box to my SOny Bravia tv, but what leads so I need to buy to go from the camera to the HDlink box, so I can monitor the sound and picture?

Your he

Carroll Lam
February 7th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Hi Carroll
Hope all is well.
I am getting a F350 next week and a HDLink box too.
I understand that I need a HDMI to HDMI lead to go from HDlink box to my SOny Bravia tv, but what leads so I need to buy to go from the camera to the HDlink box, so I can monitor the sound and picture?

Your he

You just need a video cable with BNC connectors, Mark. Both audio and video is contained within the HDSDI signal.

Carroll Lam

Mark McCarthy
February 7th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Thank you so much.
Regards
Mark