View Full Version : Mastering Audio (specifically Dialogue?)

Ben Winter
October 26th, 2006, 10:19 AM
I'm looking for a book discussing this on a somewhat learned level. I have very well-recorded dialogue, but it doesn't seem to have that crisp, cinema-quality touch to it. Thanks.

Emre Safak
October 26th, 2006, 12:10 PM
You need to learn about equalization and dynamic compression. Jay Rose's Audio Postproduction for Digital Video is a good start.

Fun stuff! Good luck.

Ben Winter
October 26th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Emre,
I mix audio as a hobby. I know a good deal about dynamics, equalization, reverb, etc. Are there any books that put that knowledge to good use? I know it should be common sense to a certain extent (a certain amount of compression, eq for voice) but I'd really like specifics.

Jarrod Whaley
October 26th, 2006, 12:55 PM
I have found the detailed EQ suggestions in this thread (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=73903) to be extremely helpful. There are some good reading suggestions in that same thread as well.

Gints Klimanis
November 6th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Try searching the archives of music technology magazines such as Electronic Musician, Keyboard, EQ and Mix. They regularly feature articles on voice processing.

Bill Ravens
November 6th, 2006, 09:38 PM
I've picked up an awful lot by hanging with the audio masters at several URL's, most noteably here:
www.harbal.com