View Full Version : how to export with timecode

Daniel Stevenson
November 27th, 2006, 12:59 AM
I want to export a sequence but I want the sequence timecode to be exported as well for reference. Anyone know how to do this?

Cheers

Shane Ross
November 27th, 2006, 01:54 PM
What device will you be exporting to? This only works on DV Decks that can black a tape and be able to set timecode numbers.

Nick Weeks
November 27th, 2006, 03:39 PM
If you just want a visual reference you can use the "Timecode Generator" filter in FCP to overlay FCP's timecode over your output video. I've only used this once or twice, but I think it only exports the sequence timecode and not the individual clips' timecode, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Shane Ross
November 27th, 2006, 03:42 PM
If you apply it to each clip individually, it will read their TC. IF you nest the sequence (although I prefer exporting a ref movie and reimporting) and drop it on that, then it will reference the timeline TC.

But I think he wants to output so that the timeline TC lays down onto the tapes timecode track...like when you master a tape to send to a network. This requires a deck capable of striping code and generating code. No camcorders will do this.

Jay Voog
December 5th, 2006, 09:00 PM
I want to export a sequence but I want the sequence timecode to be exported as well for reference. Anyone know how to do this?

Cheers

I have used the "Timecode Generator" plug-in. Pretty simple...
Create a new video track above all your other tracks. Place a slug in that track covering the whole sequence. Place "timecode generator" plug-in on the slug. On the slug clip, use the crop and resize motion tools to place it exactly how you want it.

Daniel Stevenson
December 7th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Great idea Jay however read your post after the fact. All I needed was a reference on a QT file to be stored on a data DVD, it didn't need to reflect the sequence TC per se just act as a means for two people in different places to know they were looking at the same bit of footage.

However I would be interested in figuring out how to get the actual sequence time code to appear as well as the individual time code of each clip (referencing back to the source tape). I think Shane's post will get me on the right track here (no pun intended), but I only baulk as when I originally put the time code generator on a clip it seems to produce a completely arbitrary TC with no relation to clip or sequence TC.

Thanks for your help guys.

Jay Voog
December 7th, 2006, 06:03 PM
However I would be interested in figuring out how to get the actual sequence time code to appear as well as the individual time code of each clip (referencing back to the source tape).

Hi Daniel,
Basically what I have done is just used the slug (starting at the very beginning of the sequence and ending at the very end of sequence).
Then by placing the "timecode generator" plugin on the slug (in the timeline). It will read what your timeline is playing at (only because it is at the beginning of your sequence, not because it is reading your sequence timecode). I tend to over explain things sometimes, so if this is confusing, I am sorry. This is just what I have done in the past. It's to burn the timecode for the client to view and then they give me the times and I go to my sequence and grab the clips. Simpleist way for me to do it.