View Full Version : What's a good aftermarket mouse to use for FCP or FCE on iMac?

Gilbert Labossiere
November 27th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Hi. I recently got the iMac and the mouse is not very good for video editing. Anyone know of a better mouse which will give me more control?

Thanks for any information.

William Hohauser
November 27th, 2006, 06:41 PM
The Mighty Mouse is not bad at all. The trackball allows scrolling thru timelines with ease. The buttons are programable with the trackball also functioning as a button. The side squeeze buttons are a pain to use a lot although.

Kensington makes some decent multibutton mice. Wacom includes multi-button cordless mice with their tablets. I used these until I replaced the Wacom mice with the Mighty Mouse.

You might find some of the specialty controllers for video more of a help then a special mouse. Contour Design, http://www.contourdesign.com/, makes some interesting devices.

Cody Lucido
November 27th, 2006, 07:24 PM
I love my Logitech MX Laser mouse. It is wireless with a charger

Glenn Davidson
November 27th, 2006, 07:29 PM
On both of my 'Mighty Mice' the micro ball get gummed up and will not scroll. It has to be cleaned every so often to keep it working. Judging from related problems reported on the forums, there seems to be a design problem. Besides that, the Mighty is great. I love being able to navigate the timeline with one finger.

Boyd Ostroff
November 27th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Get one of the WACOM graphics tablets, they include a cordless 3 button mouse with scroll wheel. But the pressure/position sensitive pen and tablet will turn Photoshop into a completely different program for you.

William Hohauser
November 27th, 2006, 07:56 PM
On both of my 'Mighty Mice' the micro ball get gummed up and will not scroll. It has to be cleaned every so often to keep it working. Judging from related problems reported on the forums, there seems to be a design problem. Besides that, the Mighty is great. I love being able to navigate the timeline with one finger.

That is true however all trackballs will get gummed up at some point. The gentle cleaning recommended by Apple seems to work fine.

Patrick Pike
November 27th, 2006, 08:05 PM
I still love my Kensington Studio Mouse. Three buttons, scroll pad, and great software.

Glenn Davidson
November 27th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Croissants and editing=disaster.

Gilbert Labossiere
November 27th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Thanks a lot everyone!