View Full Version : Capture card choice

Ronald A. Halder
December 7th, 2006, 07:21 AM
I am thinking of investing in a pro capture card that would see me through DV/HDV to HD transition, also I can hookup my audio and video monitor. What would be my best option? My set up is Mac pro 3Gh Quad Core, FCP, Canon XLH1. I would be very thankfull to any suggestion from the experts in this wonderful forum.

Shane Ross
December 8th, 2006, 03:22 AM
AJA Kona LHe. This will allow you to capture your HDV footage as DVCPRO HD and make it much easier to work with. It captures and outputs analog as well as SDI and HD SDI. Darn good card.

But the best card you can get is the Kona 3. It can upconvert SD to HD via hardware, and 720p HD to 1080i and 1080p HD via hardware. BUT, it only offers SDI connections. This card, coupled with a converter from AJA that converts analog sources to SDI is a POWERFUL thing.

Ronald A. Halder
December 8th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Thanks a lot Shane.
Ronald

[QUOTE=Shane Ross]AJA Kona LHe.

Johan Forssblad
December 8th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Hi,
The Canon XL H1 has 4 audio channels available.
Will any of the cards capture all of them in one pass?

Chuck Spaulding
December 8th, 2006, 02:52 PM
AJA Kona LHe. This will allow you to capture your HDV footage as DVCPRO HD and make it much easier to work with. It captures and outputs analog as well as SDI and HD SDI. Darn good card.

But the best card you can get is the Kona 3. It can upconvert SD to HD via hardware, and 720p HD to 1080i and 1080p HD via hardware. BUT, it only offers SDI connections. This card, coupled with a converter from AJA that converts analog sources to SDI is a POWERFUL thing.A pricey thing.

I think the price difference between the LH and the Kona3 is more than $1200.

Is the Kona3 worth the extra expense or will the LHe be as good. I think the big difference is that the Kona3 will do dual link 4:4:4 HD uncompressed, if your doing HDV you don't need to worry about that...

Do these cards improve the performance of FCP and if so is there a noticable difference in that performance between the LHe and the Kona3?

I would like to hear some input from people who have experience with these cards.

Gary Barr
January 17th, 2007, 01:55 PM
just another question if someone can help... will my Kona card of choice need to be the LH for an older PCI-X Mac, and does it matter what version of FCP for editing HDV as DVCPROHD - I'm still 5.0?

just so I'm clear (I'm getting XH-A1s to shoot 25F HDV and an HV-10 as 3rd cam/deck), is the above my best workflow in post?

Shane Ross
January 17th, 2007, 02:00 PM
just another question if someone can help... will my Kona card of choice need to be the LH for an older PCI-X Mac, and does it matter what version of FCP for editing HDV as DVCPROHD - I'm still 5.0?

You will need the Kona LH for the PCI-X macs. Kona LHe is for the Quads and MacPros. And you will need FCP 5.0 for editing HDV. Prior versions of FCP do not work with that format.

just so I'm clear (I'm getting XH-A1s to shoot 25F HDV and an HV-10 as 3rd cam/deck), is the above my best workflow in post?

Not sure about that workflow in PAL. Call AJA tech support. They might be able to answer that question for you.

Gary Barr
January 17th, 2007, 02:06 PM
will do, thanks for your time Shane.