View Full Version : GL2 Zoom Rocker Sticking

Lynn Roth
December 27th, 2006, 07:15 AM
I have a GL2 (bought about 2 years ago from the Private Classified forum here)

It has recently started developing the Stuck/not working zoom rocker issue that comes up in the forum periodically.

Can anyone give me an idea of the repair cost at the Canon Service Centers?

Thanks,
Lynn

Bill Wilson
December 30th, 2006, 10:20 PM
If you are not afraid to partially disassemble the tape door & plastic moulding around the tape trasport youb can replace the switch yourself. The nw zoom rocker w shipping costs $21 & change {shipping included}.

Send it to canon & I believe the minimum charge is $250-; that is why I replaced it myself.

Lynn Roth
December 30th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the response. Do I just contact the service center and ask for the part? Do you have a part number?

Thanks again.

Lynn

Lynn Roth
December 31st, 2006, 03:17 PM
With some further searching of the forum, I found this page: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=30579 the 4th page: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=30579&page=4 includes the part number and some instructions.

Thanks everyone for the pictures and instructions.

Lynn Roth
January 3rd, 2007, 03:10 PM
There is a new part number (well, the last part anyway) for the Zoom key Assembly for the Canon GL2

Part#: DG1-7395-010
U.S.A Phone# direct to parts dept: 1-732-521-7230

The price is $13.08. With tax and shipping (ground), my total was $19.93

Lynn

Lynn Roth
January 10th, 2007, 09:48 PM
I got my zoom rocker last Friday and installed it. I took pictures and documented the process on my website at http://penguin.nu/lynn/diy/gl2zoom.aspx

Hopefully this will help someone tackle this project. It ended up taking me about an hour and a half, but that included stopping to take a lot of pictures.

Thanks to everyone who has put up pictures and directions in the past. They were very helpful.

Lynn

James Holtzman
February 21st, 2007, 11:55 PM
The link given below is a bad link.

Jim

I got my zoom rocker last Friday and installed it. I took pictures and documented the process on my website at http://penguin.nu/lynn/diy/gl2zoom.aspx

Hopefully this will help someone tackle this project. It ended up taking me about an hour and a half, but that included stopping to take a lot of pictures.

Thanks to everyone who has put up pictures and directions in the past. They were very helpful.

Lynn

Lynn Roth
February 22nd, 2007, 06:37 AM
My website is back up. Sorry about that.

Lynn

Graham Bernard
February 22nd, 2007, 01:12 PM
Lynn! You are awesome!! - Superb bit of photographic reportage and text tute. Excellent!!

Ervin Farkas
April 30th, 2007, 07:25 AM
The link is totally dead again.

Lynn Roth
April 30th, 2007, 07:30 AM
The link is totally dead again.

I believe it is working now.

http://penguin.nu/lynn/diy/gl2zoom.aspx

Lynn

Ervin Farkas
April 30th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Yep, it's on and off. I just posted a new thread... do you think it's the same issue? On my friend's camera both buttons are dead...

Robin Davies-Rollinson
June 1st, 2007, 09:00 AM
My thanks to Lynn - I've just replaced the rocker mechanism on my XM2, following Lynn's excellent documentation.
The actual part only cost me 7 GBP from Canon (Europe) so I'm well pleased.
(So is my lad, who's just inherited the camera!!!)

Regards,

Robin

Ron Stoecklein
June 6th, 2007, 06:23 PM
I think I wish that I had seen this article before sending my Gl2 in for repair but maybe not. Here's my 2 cents--

--both my zoom controls went out while I was on a shoot in El Salvador-I use the Gl2 in an underwater housing for shooting a surf film. Fortunately I had my Xl2 with me so all was not a loss.

I guess my concern with repairing it myself is this--I found out that the cable for the zoom was damaged some how as well as the contacts that are spoken of here--also found that there were some mechanical issues which could have affected the picture\sound quality as well---had I merely fixed the zoom contacts myself--i guess I would have never known about the other issues---

If I just shot locally perhaps it wouldn't be that big an issue--I could have always rented one in an extreme emergency--but when you are paying $ for travel--and shooting a situation that can't be filmed again and your equipment goes down---

It's worth the extra money I think to make sure all is right--(yeah I know that doesn't mean that soemthing else couldn't go wrong)--but for me at least I have the peace of mind thinking that all is well.

by the way anyone looking to purchase a Gl2 used--I would say don't---apparently after talking to the tech ( as has been previously mentioned)--this is a fairly common issue so unless you get the cam for a good price--and figure that you might have to either attempt the repair yourself or send it in--I think one would be better off purchasing a new system.

And if like me you are depending on that system -- what's the extra price you would pay worth----to know that your equipment in all liklihood will not fail.....at least for a while.

Ron