View Full Version : Mystified by my MacBook: Need help!

Meryem Ersoz
January 11th, 2007, 10:42 AM
okay, i've searched and searched and can't find anything on this.

my 15" macbook pro (running FCP 5.1.2) seems to insist on rendering out 16:9 projects in 4:3. in FCP, the settings look fine. the capture and sequence settings appear 16:9. we've set and re-set the output settings. yet, still it seems to convert all of our 16:9 files to 4:3 when we ouput from the timeline. the projects we have had problems with are DV.

we have two other macs in the studio which are working just fine.

any ideas? any at all? any known problems with this issue? anyone else encountering it?

even when we try to transfer a completed file to another computer via the capture disk, the files still convert to 4:3. so the solution isn't as simple as moving the file to one of the working computers. it seems to be something specific to how that computer is generating files.

we've tried compressor, and it still comes out 4:3, even if compressor is set to 16:9.

we're completely frustrated and stymied and welcome any feedback/advice.

Sergio Barbosa
January 13th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Meryem, try to delete the Final cut preference list. that usually solves some issues.
Anyway, how are you outputting? I usually do: Export to quicktime movie... Not self contained... with ''current settings''.

Peter Wiley
January 13th, 2007, 12:02 PM
You have the sequence settings set to anamorphic, right? It's the right aspect ratio in the canvas? I'll assume so. I assume also you understand the square vs. rect. pixel issues with DV and DV anamorphic.

When you select output to Quicktime, click on the options button that appears in the save as dialog, this gives you the opportunity to select a codec and set a size for the output. Click on the size button and input a size that's a 16:9 aspect ratio. Then export. It should work.

Meryem Ersoz
January 13th, 2007, 03:02 PM
thanks, fellas...we have done all of the obvious, usual stuff, like double-checking capture and sequence and export settings, and all is correct.

it gets even weirder. if we use compressor to do one-pass encoding, it outputs to 16:9 just fine. but with two-pass encoding, it outputs to 4:3. i just don't know what gremlin is partying in my system.

trashing preferences is a good idea, it seems to solve a myriad of bizarre behaviors, although i've never heard of it suggested in a case like this (then again, i've never heard of a case like this...). a sprinkle of mac voodoo....