View Full Version : Camera Shake

Trevor Allin
January 16th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Hi

I have some camera shake in an important shot. Anyone know if I can do something about this in FCP?

I can't slow the clip down as it contains dialogue.

Thanks

Trevor

Kevin Randolph
January 16th, 2007, 04:20 PM
It's pretty tedious, but I have enlarged a clip before and keyframed it to eliminate some of the camera shake. It takes a long time though... I thought I read something lately about some software that would do this (external to FCP) but I can't find it online...

I'll keep looking and let you know if I find it again...

Trevor Allin
January 16th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Thanks Kevin, I'll search the web also.

Shane Ross
January 16th, 2007, 05:33 PM
The application SHAKE has a smooth cam option that does rather well.
$500.

Cole McDonald
January 16th, 2007, 05:52 PM
FCP has a motion stabilizer that works pretty well...not as well as shake, but it'll do the trick if the camera isn't all over.

Trevor Allin
January 17th, 2007, 01:56 AM
Hi Cole

Where would I find the stabiliser in FCP?

Thanks

Bill Davis
January 17th, 2007, 02:02 AM
Trevor,

The menu path is as follows...

Effects tab - Video Filters - Video - Image Stabilizer

Good luck.

Gary Barr
January 17th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Trevor, the stabiliser in FCP is rubbish, I had a similar problem last week and found a 3rd party plugin from Lyric Media which worked pretty well. It's a little trial and error but I'm much happier with the result than the FCP filter which consistently makes the shot even worse!

Cole McDonald
January 17th, 2007, 09:15 AM
The FCP Stabilizer isn't as powerful as others, but it will take some camera shake out. It won't resurrect footage after drinking a case of red bull that swings from sky to floor, but it'll take out small shakes for you just fine...and you don't have to pay more to use it.

Here's the lyric stabilizer spoken about before:

http://www.lyric.com/fcp-plugins/

it's $50, not bad...I still don't like spending money though ;)

Trevor Allin
January 18th, 2007, 01:47 AM
Hi

Thanks, I purchased the Lyric stabiliser and its done a great job! That's a relief!

Trevor