View Full Version : FCP HD - Capture with auto clips?

Lisa Shofner
January 19th, 2007, 11:25 AM
I'm just getting going on FCP from using Premiere Pro. Now, in PPro I just check a box in the capture settings to automatically create a new clip every place that the tape was paused, turned off, etc.

So far with FCP everything seems to be manual. I know there are 3 ways to capture but none of the ways seem to be automatically able to log the separate clips like PPro does.

This is a bit frustrating because it means that capturing is going to take twice as long (once through the tape to log all the in/out for the clips, then to run the batch capture). Am I missing something or is FCP just a manual beast?

If this topic has already been covered, please let me know what the search term for it is - i couldn't find anything with my search terms.

Thank you in advance.

Zach Mull
January 19th, 2007, 02:10 PM
You can mark long clips after you capture them with the DV Start/Stop detection function. I don't actually use this, but there's a good description in the manual (it's on page 273 of my PDF manual).

Lisa Shofner
January 19th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Thanks for that info. I will read up on that tonight and give it a try.

Lee Berger
January 19th, 2007, 03:39 PM
If you're capturing HDV there is a checkbox to create new clips on DV start/stop just as in Premiere. Unfortunately it is not implemented in the SD capture. I use the start/stop DV detect all the time and it works fairly well. I then drag the resulting marks to a new bin creating individual subclips.