View Full Version : Deinterlacing in FCP

Alex Sprinkle
January 23rd, 2007, 01:01 PM
I read a post a while back about deinterlacing in CP, but it was given that the shot was 60i. I have a few shots I'd like to slow down without looking "smeared," but they're at 30fps. What do I need to do? Am I just dumb and missing something obvious?

Cole McDonald
January 23rd, 2007, 01:18 PM
the physics of light and capture prevent you from doing that without reshooting...although shake (and I think the latest FCP) has "Optical Flow" algorithms that interpolate pixels to create frames inbetween the real frames when slowing something down... http://www.apple.com/shake/quicktours/ ... click on the "advanced image processing" link under the video. This stuff should get you decent slow downs according to the literature.

Alex Sprinkle
January 23rd, 2007, 02:13 PM
I'm going to have to look into this more. Thanks!

Rich Dykmans
January 23rd, 2007, 10:05 PM
I don't think that optical flow technology used by shake is builtin to the FCP frame blending only the frame controls in compressor.

Alex Sprinkle
January 24th, 2007, 12:48 AM
wait ... what?

Greg Boston
January 24th, 2007, 01:04 AM
I read a post a while back about deinterlacing in CP, but it was given that the shot was 60i. I have a few shots I'd like to slow down without looking "smeared," but they're at 30fps. What do I need to do? Am I just dumb and missing something obvious?

Might want to take a look at the plug-in called Twixtor. It creates some awesome slo-mo stuff.

-gb-

Alex Sprinkle
January 24th, 2007, 10:19 AM
God bless you. That looks good.

Cole McDonald
January 24th, 2007, 04:08 PM
I don't think that optical flow technology used by shake is builtin to the FCP frame blending only the frame controls in compressor.

Just got finished watching the instructional DVD that came with Studio...it specifically stated that the retimeing uses optical flow technology...which I can only assume is the same stuff transplanted from shake.

Cole McDonald
January 24th, 2007, 10:26 PM
did some tests, FCP only does frame blended choppy stuff...shake on the other hand...OMG...I'm going to give it some challenging footage soon to slow down...cool stuff.