View Full Version : GL2 Warranty

R.J. Paradee
April 8th, 2003, 07:38 PM
Can anyone out there suggest a good place for me to purchase a warranty for my 2 month old Gl2? Should I just buy one from Canon, or should I shop around for one. And if my Gl2 needs repairs and I have to send it out, will they give me a loaner?

Don Palomaki
April 8th, 2003, 07:45 PM
Most problems will appear within the Canon warranty period. Extended warranties (really maintenance agreements) are not offered by Canon, and in most cases are a waste of money. A few people make out, if they remember they have them. About 70% of the price of the extended agreement is profit. Worth buying only if you can afford the agreement, but cannot affort to pay for a repair if needed.

That said, check with the store from which you bought the GL2.

R.J. Paradee
April 9th, 2003, 07:07 AM
Thanks Don, I thought as much. Paranoia will destroya..

Jeff Price
April 9th, 2003, 09:38 AM
With most items I might agree but as my GL1 has been in at Canon's repair shop for two months I think the amount spent on the extended warranty might be well worth it. I still don't know what all they have had to replace but whatever they did the first time didn't fix the problem. I suspect it may come back with a new CCD block (hot pixel), new tape transport mechanism and possibly new internal zoom mechanics. Any one of those repairs would be more than the cost of the warranty.

None of these problems really showed up until the camera was a year and a half old. The hot pixel MIGHT have always been there but I had never shot in the proper set of conditions to see it before.

R.J. Paradee
April 9th, 2003, 10:57 AM
thanks jeff....appreciate the different slant. Love this board! You
all are great.