View Full Version : FCP5 and Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 - workflow compatibility

Eric Gan
January 28th, 2007, 12:09 PM
I was wondering if anyone else is in the same situation as myself. I edit with FCP5 and my partner is a Premiere Pro 2.0 (PC) guru. We often edit the same footage. Currently, I capture with FCP and I dump the resulting QT files to an external hard drive for him. The problem is, when importing the footage in Premiere, there is the dreaded "conforming audio" process. It's mind boggling what Premiere is trying to do to the audio, because it takes longer than real time to do whatever it is doing.

On the flip side, if the footage is captured in Premiere (.avi) and imported into FCP, FCP complains about the format not being optimized. It still works though, but I'm not sure if it's as stable.

It's difficult to get someone to change NLEs. Until we're all FCP-based, I'm going to run into this situation over and over again.

Thanks,

Chuck Spaulding
January 30th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Or you could just switch to PPro2

Bryan Wilkat
January 31st, 2007, 12:22 AM
I was wondering if anyone else is in the same situation as myself. I edit with FCP5 and my partner is a Premiere Pro 2.0 (PC) guru. We often edit the same footage. Currently, I capture with FCP and I dump the resulting QT files to an external hard drive for him. The problem is, when importing the footage in Premiere, there is the dreaded "conforming audio" process. It's mind boggling what Premiere is trying to do to the audio, because it takes longer than real time to do whatever it is doing.

On the flip side, if the footage is captured in Premiere (.avi) and imported into FCP, FCP complains about the format not being optimized. It still works though, but I'm not sure if it's as stable.

It's difficult to get someone to change NLEs. Until we're all FCP-based, I'm going to run into this situation over and over again.

Thanks,

yeah, im in the same situation with my friend too. one solution is for you to export your footage as .avi for your partner to deal with OR you could edit your parts in fcp, capture it back to tape, then from the tape capture it into adobe for your partner to add to the timeline. there's a bunch of ways around it, however i'm not so sure if any one solution is better than the rest...i would personally go with capturing back onto a tape, sure it's a little more wear and tear on your cam, but you can be sure that the footage quality isn't suffering.

Jonathan Nelson
January 31st, 2007, 02:08 AM
Have you tried using an edl?