View Full Version : Another Teleconverter question...

Steve Urban
April 10th, 2003, 09:18 AM
Hi All:

I was in NYC yesterday and had a chance to visit B&H photo.
The place was mobbed. There must have been 100 sales people working the floor. They had a conveyor belt with baskets going along the entire ceiling. The baskets would deliver the order to the customer on the floor. Amazing place.

I talked with the video salesperson about the two teleconverter options for the GL2:
1) Sony 1.7 ($269)
2) Century Optics 2.0x ($399)

The boss, (my wife), just recently gave me permission to get one for my upcoming birthday (she is the bread winner and I'm between jobs but not for long I hope).

I asked the salesperson why so much difference in price. He told me that Century Optics was a lens company and Sony was not.

I had my heart set on getting the Sony after seeing the wonderful work by Steve Nunez with his Sony teleconverter.
I can't image the Century Optics doing any better.

Does anyone with the Century Optics 2x teleconverter have a few examples of 40x stills to your memory card or frame grabs posted on their website?
Thanks in advance!

Steve

Steve Nunez
April 14th, 2003, 07:13 PM
Hey Steve,

I too looked into the Century 2X- from what I've been told- it's a bit better than the Sony unit and the extra .3x multiplier would be cool to have.

Thanks for the compliments.......if you get the Century- post some pix!!!

Good luck.

Steve Urban
April 15th, 2003, 03:04 AM
Hi Steve:

Thanks for the info!

On another note:

The GL2 just returned from a week down in the Caribbean a few weeks ago. I'm just finishing up editing a few video clips and a short report on what I learned about using it in this setting. I hope to have them ready in another week for viewing.

Have a great one!

Steve

Val Rodriguez
May 29th, 2003, 10:36 PM
I very much decided on getting the Sony 1.7 teleconverter. B&H only carries the two tone model (silver and black) and Sony shows the all black model in their website. So I was wondering if there was anything different in the specs between the two.

Frank Granovski
May 30th, 2003, 12:05 AM
Kenko makes the tele and wide adaptors for Sony, so they are almost the same. If you don't believe me, compare the 2 side by side. One difference, though. Kenko puts filter threads on the front.

Joe Lloyd
May 30th, 2003, 08:37 AM
I would go with the Century unless the cost is too much. I have the Century and love it. I'll try to get some pictures at 20x with tele-converter later tonight.