View Full Version : MikeMuff Windscreen

Kyle Scharoll
April 16th, 2003, 05:03 PM
Hi all,
Does anyone own a MikeMuff windscreen (www.mikemuff.com) for the gl1 or gl2, if so how do you like it and how do you think it compares to other more expensive options?

Kyle

Rob Wilson
April 16th, 2003, 05:23 PM
Since I don't use the camera mic that often, I opted for a super cheapo Radio Shack foam windscreen. It works pretty well and cost a whole $5.99. Wish I could say the dead cat on my ME66 was that inexpensive!! It's one that is actually designed for a stick mic. It slips over easily and I used a tie wrap to secure it in place. Only down side (as will all versions to fit the GL2) is that the tally lamp is now obscured so I've been recording at times I might otherwise have caught (those buttons on the handle get me all the time).

Nicholi Brossia
July 14th, 2003, 08:35 PM
i know that this is a fairly old thread, but i too was wondering about the quality of the mikemuff. i have a gl2 and want to buy an effective windscreen for the factory mic, but i haven't been able to find any direct comparison between the mikemuff and the canon equalizer (eq-gl1), besides the price of course. the canon claims protection up to 40mph, but the mikemuff has a detailed field test at 20mph. so, right now, i guess its a question of credibility. if anyone can help me out, i'd really appreciate it. thanks.

nicholi

Ken Tanaka
July 14th, 2003, 10:50 PM
Nicholi,
I've not used the "Mikemuff" but I do have an Equalizer for the GL1/GL2. (This is actually made by Lightwave Systems (http://www.lightwavesystems.com/products/canon/gl/default.htm).) I regret the purchase. Frankly, $150 MSRP for this muff is absolutely outrageous for its value. I don't think it could stop the woosh from a flea fart.

If I were making the purchase again, I would opt for Rycote's Mini-Windjammer for the GL2 (available from B&H Photo and probably others for around $40). Rycote is the king of the furry windscreens and holds patents (and an Academy Award) on their designs. Based on the performance of their other windscreens (I have 3) I would trust their products first and foremost.

Joe Sacher
July 14th, 2003, 11:52 PM
I have the MikeMuff and like the performance for the price. It does a great job in a decent amount of wind. I don't use the on camera mic as much as I did, since I purchased the Sennheiser ME66 and Lightwave muff. I think the MikeMuff is a good value for the money.

Nicholi Brossia
July 15th, 2003, 07:52 AM
Thanks Ken. Thanks Joe. That's exactly what I needed to hear. I think I'm going with the Rycote. However, I'm also trying to decide whether or not to get a muff for my Azden sgm-1x. For now, this mic will remain attached to the shoe mount (until I can afford a beachtek or some other access to a balanced xlr input, and apply a longer cable and boom). I couldn't find a Rycote muff for the Azden, but MikeMuff does make one. The mic already sticks out pretty far in front of the lens, and seems to be barely out of frame. My concern is that the "fuzzies" from the muff will be too long/thick and edge into the top of my frame. If this is the case, which seems likely, I might just keep my fingers crossed for low wind and hope that the factory foam helps me a little during the times I use the shotgun outside, or just go with the muff'ed factory mic.

Brian Wood
July 15th, 2003, 08:32 AM
My friend Kyle and I got the mic muffs a few months ago and used them in Washington D.C on a school trip. The outside audio was fine although due to time constraints and the fact we decided when we got back voice overs would be nice we decided not to use the audio. Hope this kinda brings this thread full circle.

Jan Roovers
July 15th, 2003, 05:49 PM
This (http://www.jtv.be/JTV/journaal/SitgesSantJoan/SitgesStJoan-high.html) is shot with the Mikemuff.

I like its performance.

Rob Taylor
July 15th, 2003, 08:58 PM
I have the Mike Muff for the DVX100 and for a GL-1. They work well when you are using the on camera mic. I ordered one for the Azden SGM-1X and that does a good job too. One note about the one for the SGM-1X, you have to use it over the foam windscreen. Rob

Nicholi Brossia
July 15th, 2003, 09:28 PM
Thanks Rob,
Just to double check... the sgm-1x MikeMuff, while over the foam windscreen, doesn't drop down into the frame? If that's the case, then I'm a happy boy.

Rob Taylor
July 16th, 2003, 07:47 AM
Yes, if you mount it right on the camera. I use a tilt and swivel mount between the camera and the mic. I've had it on there so long I've forgotten about it being there. The tilt mount is something I picked up at a camera store for about $20. They are used for flashes. It raises mic up about an 1 3/4 inches and you can tilt the mic up if you need to in order to get it out of the shot.
Rob

Nicholi Brossia
July 16th, 2003, 08:07 AM
Great idea, thanks Rob.