View Full Version : JY-HD10u for home interiors

Jaser Stockert
February 22nd, 2007, 02:54 PM
In the process of using this camera for interiors of homes w/ slow zooms and pans. Will only be using natural lighting plus homeowner's lights/lamps/flourescents. Any suggestions for using this camera in these conditions. Final out will be to the web and DVD's. Thanks for any suggestions/feedback!

PS: Sorry for all the confusion Peter! Glad things worked out w/ you and Joe...=)

Robert M Wright
February 23rd, 2007, 08:51 AM
I doubt an HD10 is an ideal choice for this use.

Murad Toor
February 28th, 2007, 07:07 AM
I doubt an HD10 is an ideal choice for this use.

I second that. Unless you're bringing a lot of your own lighting, you'll be disappointed.

If you're shooting exteriors in daylight you'll be fine.

Ken Hodson
March 2nd, 2007, 09:07 PM
He didn't ask if it was the "best" cam for the job. He asked for advice on how to get best results using this cam. If there is no technical advice to be offered I would suggest not posting. Thanks.

Lock it to 1/30th shutter and let exposure auto adjust. Then do another pass and lock the exposure and let the shutter auto adjust. You will find what works best in different situations when you review the footage in post. Qickly you will know what setting to use for different situations. If there is lots of light (large windows bright day, too much light) consider using ND filters to lower light levels. If there is minimal light do not use any filters at all.
Keep the pans very slow and consider buying a pan motor so you can get those ultra smooth pans. If you can not get a quality picture in 720p due to low light levels, put it into 480p60 mode as this will add at least a full stop.
Consider a wide-angle adapter if you are in tight rooms. The HD10 lens isn't extremely wide.
Keep AGC off as it will add noise to the image, unless the image is so lacking light that you have to enable it. But before you do consider bringing some light(s) of your own. You won't want to use direct light because of the shadows, but a light source bounced off a deflector of some sort or a direct light shot through a diffuser will help. Experiment and find a small, easy, portable solution you can take along that won't be a risk to "trip" the power of where you are.
Bottom line: don't listen to naysayers(see above posts :>( practice many different rooms and light conditions in your own home and check your results in post.
Good-luck

Murad Toor
March 2nd, 2007, 09:15 PM
If there is no technical advice to be offered I would suggest not posting. Thanks.
Sorry to step on your toes. I was speaking as an owner and user, but I respect your authority and appreciate your helpful advice. Take care.

Robert M Wright
March 3rd, 2007, 09:24 AM
I own an HD10 also. Honestly, I think the best technical advice is to shoot with a different camera. Even many low cost consumer cameras could work better for this use, particularly where lighting is less than desirable for an HD10 (they aren't kidding about the 35 lux minimum rating).

One thing you can do with footage from the HD10, where there's little motion (shooting inanimate objects with very slow zooms and pans), is apply some fairly aggressive temporal noise filtering in post.

I recently downloaded a filter for VirtualDub, called "Spotremover" which might work very well. I only briefly tested it thus far, but I'm impressed. You can get it here:

http://konstant.freeshell.org/

Ken Hodson
March 4th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Robert, let us know how that VDub filter works out. It appears to be just for restoring old film type spots(scratches/dust) and not for correcting the chroma noise that plagues low light HD1/10 footage. But if it works out let us know what setting you found best. There are other VDub filters that are more specific to chroma noise. Personally I use Algolith, but it is slow and I am considering trying out some VDub filters in the future.

Jaser Stockert
March 4th, 2007, 05:58 PM
thank you, and much appreciation for your posts! =) i decided to go w/ a different camera because of the horrible low light capabilities of the hd10u.