View Full Version : Sony stepping back on HDV?

Kaku Ito
February 28th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Upon the delay of delivering HVR-1500, shops and business people in the market are talking Sony is going to abandon HDV.

What do you think?

Jack Zhang
February 28th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Doubt it in the professional market, but it is likely in the consumer market.

Robert Young
March 2nd, 2007, 06:36 PM
I'm curious why you think Sony is not going to pursue HDV into the consumer market.

Jack Zhang
March 2nd, 2007, 08:57 PM
Consumers like the convenience of hard drives and discs more than a tape nowadays. In a sense they're moving away from tape right now.

Evan C. King
March 3rd, 2007, 04:42 AM
I've never heard of an hvr-1500. It's not like sony to use a number like that in their product's model number.

Boyd Ostroff
March 3rd, 2007, 08:40 AM
I've never heard of an hvr-1500.

You need to keep up with current events :-)

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusiness/minisites/HDV/images/HVR1500_RevFinal_1-07.pdf

Bruno Donnet
March 5th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Upon the delay of delivering HVR-1500, shops and business people in the market are talking Sony is going to abandon HDV.

What do you think?
Since many years the same people say that the old DV SD tape is close to be dead due to the availability of mini-DVD and HDD cams.
There's still more DV tape based cams on the shelves than mini-DVD and HDD cams... DV in SD is still not dead, and on the HD market there's actually no reason to declare HDV as dead...

Maybe the high capacity of a mini-Bluray or a mini-HD-DVD disk would be the first good reason to replace the DV/HDV tape.
Not before, at minimum, 2008/2009 (and 2010 at a normal/standard price...).
And even at these dates, you will find new HDV models (but certainly with less choice) to permit to the people having DV or HDV tapes to continue on this way...

Kevin Shaw
March 5th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Seems to me that Sony and other manufacturers are experimenting with a variety of options for recording HD video, and that HDV will be just one of many such options for cameras sold over the next few years. As far as "abandoning" HDV is concerned that's unlikely given its popularity, and even if the cameras stopped selling tomorrow that wouldn't change the usefulness of the format.

P.S. I was on vacation recently and noticed that it's still easy to find "VHS-C" tapes for sale, which I would have called as a dying format years ago.