View Full Version : New user, need some help please

Jenna Klingensmith
March 18th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Hello, I just got a new Canon GL2 and i'm still learning how to use it, but here is my dilema. I read the manual and I cannot figure out how to change the f-stop and shutter speed. I'm fairly new to these terms in the first place, because I just moved up from a cheaper consumer camcorder. Also I have lens adaptors and I am not quite sure how to put those on, they came with "rings" .. I may sound quite silly, lol, but if anyone could give me some advice, and sort of "step by step" instructions, that would be wonderful.

Thanks, and I'm glad to be a a canon GL2 user :)

-Jenna

Merlin Vandenbossche
March 18th, 2007, 05:13 AM
I can't help you with the lens adaptors, since I myself don't own any. But I can tell you about the f-stops and shutters. I myself own the european version, but i suppose they are the same in usage.

1. First make sure the camera is out of "easy-mode", this is the button at the side that can change from a green rectangle to a "P-mode". The P-mode is the right one.

2. Push in the "menu select"-wheel near the battery holder; now you can choose from a variety of modes: auto (camera does auto), tv (camera allows you to change shutter only), av (camera allows you to change aperture only), manual (you decide all), sand & snow (for sand & snow?!?), spotlight (good for low-key lighting situations like theatre-plays).

3. Pick out "manual" and press the wheel again

4. Now use the wheel up front (the one with "exp" on it, "exposure") and press it.

5. You're now able to change shutter, wheel up/down to change

6. Press the wheel again

7. You're now able to change aperture, wheel up/down

8. Press the wheel

9. You're able to change the gain settings

10. Press the wheel, you're done.

Hope it helped!

Jenna Klingensmith
March 18th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Thanks so much! You were very helpful!

Tony Claxton
March 19th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Hello, I just got a new Canon GL2 and i'm still learning how to use it, but here is my dilema. I read the manual and I cannot figure out how to change the f-stop and shutter speed. I'm fairly new to these terms in the first place, because I just moved up from a cheaper consumer camcorder. Also I have lens adaptors and I am not quite sure how to put those on, they came with "rings" .. I may sound quite silly, lol, but if anyone could give me some advice, and sort of "step by step" instructions, that would be wonderful.

Thanks, and I'm glad to be a a canon GL2 user :)

-Jenna

It sounds like Merlin covered setting exposure values. I thought I'd try to explain the rings. I don't know what kind of adapters you have, but maybe something like a 'wide angle' or 'telephoto'. Your gl2 has threads in the front of the lens that lets you screw on adapters or filters. I don't have my gl2 here, but I think it uses 58mm threads but I may be wrong. If you have filters or adapters with, say, 52mm threads you won't be able to screw them directly into the camera lens. That's what the rings are for. One side (male) will have 58mm threads and should screw into the camera lens and then the adapter (wide angle, telephoto or whatever) should screw into the female threads (52mm) of the ring. They can also be used to attach accessories that are larger than your lens threads. When you screw anything into your camera lens, make sure it isn't cross-threaded. In other words, make sure that everything is straight. I usually turn it backwards until I feel the ends of the threads slip past each other. Then I turn it the right way to screw it in.

HTH,
Tony

Don Palomaki
March 19th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Note that using adapters designed for smaller mounting (less than 58mm) may result in vignetting when installed on the Gl2, especially at the wider zoom settings.

Graham Bernard
March 20th, 2007, 01:08 AM
Note that using adapters designed for smaller mounting (less than 58mm) may result in vignetting when installed on the Gl2, especially at the wider zoom settings.

What is "vignetting" - Don? <wink>