View Full Version : My first short. Shot on a GL2

Bao Nguyen
March 21st, 2007, 07:24 PM
Hello all. I've been reading lots of posts of completed projects and read many good comments so I thought I'd give it a try. Here's my first post & experiment in filmmaking. It's a 6 minute short entitled the news. I learned so much from everyone on DVinfo for this project. All comments and criticisms welcome. Hope you enjoy. Thanks. Bao

http://web.mac.com/bao.q.nguyen/iWeb/Bao%20Q.%20Nguyen/Movie.html

Merlin Vandenbossche
March 22nd, 2007, 10:56 AM
Bao,

It looked very solid as a first short. The only thing really bothering me was the faint idea I had that you never went up close. And I mean really up close. The closest shots were at shoulder-height and I as a viewer, regretted that I never got closer. Not only counts for persons and thus emotion, but could also be interresting for objects (such as e.g. the fluffy bear) too. Maybe you made some of those shots but edited them out in post, I can not know. When I shoot DV however, I like to take such small close shots along the way to make cutting more valuable and keep options open. But I'm just an aspiring editor-student, so (as always) I could be wrong. :p

Greetz,

Merlin

Bao Nguyen
March 22nd, 2007, 12:45 PM
Thanks for your response Merlin. You're right about getting the close ups. I wish I would have grabbed a few. That would have given me a few options while editing. The little bear was shown in the beginning and was supposed to show up again in the end, but I didn't get the shots I needed. As the camera guy, the sound guy, lighting guy and trying to give directions I could only remember so much. One thing I learned is that I need help. Like you, I'm learning as well and hopefully my next will be better. Thanks for your advice. Bao

Regan Latimer
April 1st, 2007, 09:50 AM
Hi Bao,

Great short! Just a couple of questions as I will be shooting a short soon myself.

What kind of Audio equipment did you use?

Did you shoot in normal or frame mode?

Great job!!

Bao Nguyen
April 1st, 2007, 10:12 PM
Thanks Regan,
You can read all the technical details here (or just go back to the movie page and click on the link to the production photos and storyboards):

http://web.mac.com/bao.q.nguyen/iWeb/Bao%20Q.%20Nguyen/Technical%20Details.html

P.S. It was all shot in frame mode.