View Full Version : Are many people here still using their HD-1/10s?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Jeff Kellam
March 21st, 2007, 11:36 PM
Im sure we all want or have the Canon XH-A1 or maybe a Sony product, but are any old-timers (with the HD-1/10 that is) still using their HDxs?

I still have and use mine quite a bit, but I think it's time for me to start capturing all the old tapes on a hard drive for the future when I no longer have it.

These HDx threads are certainly slowing down and will even more as XH-A1 prices come down (and there is a $250 rebate!).

Graham Hickling
March 21st, 2007, 11:54 PM
Sold mine tonight (sniff, sniff).

Darrin McMillan
March 22nd, 2007, 05:43 AM
I still use my HD10 all the time. It took me almost a year to master it so why stop now. However I do love my XL2.

Zack Birlew
March 22nd, 2007, 05:25 PM
I always wondered this myself, there seemed to be quite a lot of HD1/10U users back when it came out but all went quiet on the HD1/10U boards by comparison to back then.

Cool to hear people are still using them, if I may ask, what kind of projects are you guys using them for?

Jeff Kellam
March 22nd, 2007, 08:32 PM
Im with you Darrin, it took me a really long time to master mine and learn its' limitations.

Now that I have it under control & have also learned how to give it a little PP in Vegas when necessary, I like the look of the video it puts out. I think I prefer the look of it over 1080i in many cases.

If they had made a smaller HD100/110 like Canon turned the H1 into the XH-A1, that would have been me. There are still very few TVs to this day that display 1080i or P.

Im using mine mostly for B camera at weddings and taking places I don't yet want to take the new camera like boating or the beach.

I shot some back yard video a couple days ago- 16MB file:

http://thegilliamfamily.com/GRHD1video/720Ptestclip1.wmv

Chris Hurd
March 22nd, 2007, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback -- maybe I won't archive this board after all. For a little while longer anyway.

Darrin McMillan
March 23rd, 2007, 12:20 AM
I use my HD10 as second camera with my Xl2..It works a lot better then you think it would. I have shot Weddings, Corporate Interview Panels, Music Video's with it..Personally I would take 720 over 1080i anyday, but hey that's just me. I'll tell you what is really cool.. I can render to 1280X720 and then stream it from my PC onto my Xbox 360 onto my 52" HDTV and it looks really good. Anyway Thank you Chris H for keeping it going..

Peter Frollo
March 23rd, 2007, 07:10 PM
I would keep it but the size limits where I am willing to take it so it has to go; unfortunately because I like 720p on my LCD...

Yes, Chris, I still have it after DVi and ebay (both buyers on ebay went to "no longer registered" for fraud just days after they won it) roller coaster. Actually I am glad I sill have it...

Dave Ferdinand
March 27th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Maybe this Forum could be merged with the HD7 since the group is called 'Consumer / Single Chip HD Camcorders'. That sounds legitimate. It would be a nice spot to speak about the new Everio HD cam.

Mike Teutsch
March 27th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Sold mine about three months ago, but I do miss it.

Mike

Erik Rangel
March 28th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Still have mine and I use it all the time...as a paper weight.
The firewire output broke again but this time no warranty to cover the repair.
I did manage to squeeze one more thing out of it before hanging it up though.

My Grindhouse Trailer
Shot with the hd-10 and a letus 35a

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O02mNMbGOtc

Giroud Francois
March 28th, 2007, 02:37 PM
i still got mine, but deseperately seeking to sale (european based, US standard camera, so you see the problem).

Ken Hodson
April 6th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Im with you Darrin, it took me a really long time to master mine and learn its' limitations.

Now that I have it under control & have also learned how to give it a little PP in Vegas when necessary, I like the look of the video it puts out. I think I prefer the look of it over 1080i in many cases.

If they had made a smaller HD100/110 like Canon turned the H1 into the XH-A1, that would have been me. There are still very few TVs to this day that display 1080i or P.

Im using mine mostly for B camera at weddings and taking places I don't yet want to take the new camera like boating or the beach.

I shot some back yard video a couple days ago- 16MB file:

http://thegilliamfamily.com/GRHD1video/720Ptestclip1.wmv

Is that kid eating chalk? Thats a hilarious clip. Always enjoy how the cams make the simplest of shots look so filmic.

Good stuff Erik. Got more then I expected from a Youtube clip. Is this just a mock trailer or are you planning a full movie?
Before you hang your HD10 up permanently consider that it does offer 480p60 uncompressed component out which is 960'ishx480 which could be used for various action shots or high risk situations where if the cam "bit-it" you wouldn't be so sad. Tether it to a laptop or small portable PC and you still have a very useful tool, especially with that 35mm adapter.

Erik Rangel
April 6th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Good stuff Erik. Got more then I expected from a Youtube clip.

Haha Thanks Ken.
It was shot for the SXSW Grindhouse Trailer contest, but seeing as I don't know how to just write a trailer I wrote and shot a five minute short. So I still have to finish that. But if I were to shoot this as a full length movie...I'd use a different cam.
I think my HD10 could possibly still manage another short though. It's a tough little cam.
The abuse it's suffered and it still records is amazing to me.
I should just get it repaired.

Damon Gaskin
April 9th, 2007, 04:38 PM
I am actually thinking of getting this cam for my purposes and as an intermediate cam, I think it would be great. I understand it needs light(35 lux or footcandles), but that really isn't anything from the light meter I have. I am sure it will look better than my TRV19... Especially for the price and manual functions.. Even though its an older model, you really can't seem to beat it..

Graham Hickling
April 9th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Damon, If you can afford it, get the HD10 rather than the HD1. The main reason I say this is the HD1 has sharpening set quite high, and nonadjustable - whereas with the HD10 you can dial sharpness down.

Carlos Rodriguez
April 9th, 2007, 09:16 PM
I still use mine as a b-cam w/my hd110 (when i shoot 30p) also to capture footage off my 110 into my nle. less stress for the big machine...

Ken Hodson
April 10th, 2007, 03:33 PM
whereas with the HD10 you can dial sharpness down.

There is no adjustment for EE on the HD10, but it is set at a much lower level then the HD1.

Damon Gaskin
April 10th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Are the HD10's still even available? That one I know has alot more features, but I am in the us and haven't seen it available in a while to be honest.

Zack Birlew
April 10th, 2007, 07:56 PM
eBay for the HD10U unfortunately.

The HD1 is still being sold in places like B&H Photo.

Damon Gaskin
April 10th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Thanks Jack! Yes, that is exactly where I wqas looking was B&H(it really makes it a steal at the price to me at least), and the reviews there had great things to say about the camera, including the newer reviews. To be honest, I am looking for an upgrade from a TRV19 sony with of course external mic and also wireless. I am also eyeing something more expensive(FX7), but if I can get a good image out of the HD1 I am sold. I am pretty much going to use it for small projects, a few weddings(yes, I did one on the TRV19 and a second consumer cam, though, it really hurt my feelings that I had to due to low light and also no ability to change any settings whatsoever) and events. I know with the shutter speed options along with the aperture and probably turning the AGC off, that I should be able to pull a pretty good picture, especially compared to what I have now. Most importantly, it will be an intermediate camera for me to allow me to learn the possiblities I think.

From the clip that someone posted a link to with the kid eating chalk, the image seems pretty neutral and not oversaturated, but very sharp, which to be honest I like, as I can always add soft focus in post. I honestly, am trying to get the most bang for the buck as my budget isn't large at all, and I have some events coming up in the summer. I don't to be honest want to go with one of the "consumer" newer models because for example, they don't have focus and zoom rings, not to mention a Lanc jack that I know I can use my varizoom with that I have gotten accustomed to on the TRV.

To be honest, I am a bit confused by the negative reviews, but all of the video I have seen from clips looks good. Definately good enough once I think I tinker with the settings and learn shutter speed and aperture alot better, I think pulling good looking images will certainly be possible.

So any input or clips to show, would be most helpful and appreciated, along with any opinions on the subject. I have the computer ready alreay with capture card, just can't select camera... LOL

Ken Hodson
April 11th, 2007, 04:48 AM
The Hd1 isn't a bad choice as I don't find the EE to be overly offensive. The Hd10 offers no additional features over the Hd1 except XLR audio inputs, but control wise they are exactly the same. Low light, such as often found with wedding shoots, are not ideal for this cam. The 35 lux rating (Japanese rating, not sure what the US rating is (8 lux?)) means that in not ideal lighting you will get lots of noise. ND filters are a necessity for bright shots. If you look at the chalk eating clip you will notice lots of blown out areas that the cam can't handle the range.

Damon Gaskin
April 11th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks Ken... I really do thank you for your input. This is becoming a difficult decision more and more by the moment. I wish there was a store near me that had the camera so I could play with it. And yes, I see what your saying about the blown out a bit on exposure if I am seeing what your saying on the childs face when he faces the camera towards the right. Hmmnnn, very difficult indeed, very difficult...

I don't do alot of weddings at all, but I know with my light meter here at home, I can pull a 35 lux(US) rating with only a 100 watt bulb for the most part(btw, I didn't know there were different lux/footcandle ratings in different regions of the world), so I am thinking I should be ok, but I really would like to play with the camera to be honest or any one before I plunk down the cash and have to deal with sending it back if I am not satisfied.. I really will have to think on it.

But filters(polarizers and ND), to be honest are a huge part of my little bag of tricks with the lowly TRV19 I have and being able to get nice little shots from it.

Hmmnnn, ok, let me quit my babbling, but thanks alot!!!

D

Damon Gaskin
April 15th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Ken or anyone else, is it possible to post a wmv clip of low light? I am still teetering and because its an older camera and as you all stated, not alot of users are posting on this cam anymore. However, as I have watched, on B&H the reviews there are good, so I am just curious what low light video with this camera looks like. I know and have seen shutter speed corrected sports events with the camera and to be honest I like it. But I am just curious of how the low light truly looks... I can't seem to locate clips for the low light footage.. If anyone could help, I would be eternally grateful as this will determine my path of purchase...

Thank you all very much,

Damon

Update: OMG you have got to be kidding me! LOL I was mixing up two units! I did a quick google and for lux versus footcandle it stated that one footcandle is equal to 10.764 lux, so basically, I am wondering to be honest, a situation would have to be completely dark to not be able to register from my quick calculations a measly 3.25 footcandles. Maybe this is with shutter speed set high from the calculations, but from what I am seeing, per the link below to wilkpedia(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lux), that will be easy to achieve. My light over the fisthtank produced a 25 footcandle reading a few feet away from it, and this room is extremely dark with only it running....

I think I am sold.....

Ken Hodson
April 15th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Here is a link to a thread that had a link to some nice night footage.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=72217&highlight=low+light

Unfortunately the clip has expired, but the thread may be of use. I also recommend using the search engine available on these forums. They are a great resource. Choose "search" then "advanced search" then select the HD1/HD10 forum, then enter your key words, "low light" ect.. Works great!

I would have no problem getting you a clip, but I no longer work for the company which I shot with the cam. If I come across some of my old footage that shows low light then I will let you know.

The cam does produce acceptable low light images, but they tend to produce a lot of chroma noise in the dark under lit areas. Use NO cam filters in low light situations. There are many VirtuaDub filters and other software, that specialize in noise cleanup, at the expense of some render time.

Damon Gaskin
April 15th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the reply Ken... And LOL its funny because that was the main therad I was looking at with the still image taken that actually doesn't look bad. That is what has prompted me to ask about a low light clip. If you can find one, that would be great! If not, I thank you for the effort anyhow.

And to be honest for filters, I was actually looking at some of the Cavision products such as their rail system and probably just as you suggested only use polarizer and ND filters. And definately turn the AGC off, and just play with the iris, shutter speed and exposure trying to learn the camera in fully manual mode from the start.

All color correction and the like I would do in Premiere. They have a nice shadow/highlight filter that works pretty good actually as your able to blend a percent of the original clip with the corrected clip, so I think that may help out a bit too. There is also if I remember a noise filter that I believe can be used... So I think this will be ok.. I am tinkering with the TRV19 a bit, which I know(pretty darn sure) will produce alot more noise that this cam, but I just want to play with th exposure a bit to get use to it in the dark.. I am thinking I will order it in probably 3 weeks or so barring jvc discontinuing the model(knock on wood!!) but they have a new animated presentation of it on their site, so I think I am pretty safe.. But I think I am going to go for it.

And he he I actually had to put in chroma noise to research what it actually is/was... LOL My knowledge on HDV and its formats has actually grown quite a bit due to the research and flip flopping back and forth on this purchase. I am therefore grateful for the experience.

Ok, heres my setup: I have picked out an external monitor/mini lcd for focusing accurately with the HDV(7" widescreen), as I said the rail system, the 3*3 matte box, an extra battery(as I have read the battery is long lasting on this corder), and about 10 tapes, all under 1950.00. Does that sound pretty good? It does to me, or do you think I will not need for example the matte box for filters and just purchase screw ons for the beginning and learning phase? That alone to be honest would save me a couple hundred, but I was thinking for the versatility, it probably would be worth it, but hadn't fully decided on that. I definately want to get the rail setup as not only does it look cool to me, and will look "techie" to the clients(he he he, gotta do something with it being a smaller camera), but I can add my shotgun mic via an accessory they sell on the rails and also, later do the matte box if I don't get it right away...

What do you think of the above? Sound good? Thanks,

D

Ken Hodson
April 17th, 2007, 02:09 PM
We had a Cavision 3x3 matte-box on the rig I used. Because of the difficulty of manual control of the cam I used a variable ND filter setup, which consists of two polarizers. Search for older threads for indepth explanation. As you probably know you can't lock shutter and exposure at the same time. So having a variable ND allowed me use that to control exposure. One big helper I can offer you is that in manual mode you can cycle through your settings menu to see what your settings are such as shutter, F-stop, but if you stop one one setting too long it will engage and disengage what you had locked. So if you lock exposure then you can cycle through to see what your resulting settings are. But if you pause on shutter for eg. then it will jump out of exposure lock and now you are in manual shutter. Yes not ideal, and it took some time with this cam before I figured this out, but you can see what all your settings are and that is the point. Just don't pause to long. If you miss it just do another lap. Ha ha. In less then ample light don't use any filters as even a pola will drop you a stop. Try to search out some of my older posts on manual control using my name in this forum for more info. I have forgotten lots of tid-bits now that I no longer use the cam :>(
Also using AspectHD gave us access to super whites, giving about %15 more detail then what was available in a regular MT2.
Good luck.

Damon Gaskin
April 17th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Hi Ken and thanks for the reply once again. I thought about it and I believe that I actually am going to purchase an FX7. I failed to mention that I have a partner and she isn't too techie and we both had the chance to play with an FX1 yesterday and she felt very comfortable with it. Not to mention I liked the layout of the controls and I don't believe that I will have to do any workarounds with the camera to get great video(I downloaded some clips from this site and was simply astonished by how it looks). So I really, really, really, wanted the HD1 but because of her and the amt that it would have cost for the rig of the rails, the monitor and other accessories, I think it was only like 500 or something, and then I figured that after that, I would have to create workarounds, on top of the low light and no gain control pretty much.

So I thank you eternally for your input, but I think I am going to have to bite the bullet on this one and just go back with Sony once more(I feel the chunks rising... LOL). He He He The other thing was that I would have had to order it without knowing how the controls were along with how the video looked compared to the sony first hand. And thats alot of cash IMHO on not being sure. I still am going to have to save a little longer due to the increased cost, but I think I will like and have more to tinker with and be able to learn a bit more..

Once again thanks... I will post on the other forum for the FX7, but do you have any experience with this cam?

D

Ken Hodson
April 18th, 2007, 07:57 PM
You probably made the right choice. The HD1/10's are something I would recommend only to those who have the time and experience to do the work-arounds and the price was cheap.
I have no experience with the FX7. I believe it is just the consumer version of the V1, just minus some advanced settings, no progressive mode and no pro audio input. If its features and price suit your needs it should provide quite a nice picture.

Dave Eaton
May 9th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback -- maybe I won't archive this board after all. For a little while longer anyway.

Please, don't archive this board!

I'm a still shooter that's semi-new to video and have a Canon Optura 20 that I just dusted off. Decided I'd go deeper this time around and wanted something a bit bigger and more professional looking. Didn't make a lot of sense to me to buy another DV camera when HDVs are the same price or less. A friend (in another city) has a couple GR-HD1U's as C and D cameras (Z1U's for B cameras) to go with their other rigs -- they, also, have a couple original Opturas (they look like 35mm film cameras) that they use as well and like.

In talking with him on what I should look at he highly recommended the HD1 as he and his partner love theirs. So, I read all the reviews, did WAY too much research, and just, as in 30-minutes ago, ordered a GR-HD1U -- comes with the Master Works DVD now so I shouldn't have too many really dumb newbie questions. :-)

The downside to coming in so late to the dance is that most of the links referred to in the old messages are no longer working, but I'll survive. There's still a lot of excellent info here.

So, please, don't archive this board yet. I'm pleased to be a new member.

Now to decide on extended warranties...Mack (4 years for $100) or Satisfusion (3 years for $90).

Greg Toope
May 10th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Im with you Dave. Im probably going to order one tomorrow as a second camera. I have a JVC GY-Dv300u camera and I think the HD1U would be a great second camera, and since its a bit smaller would be a nice camera for taking on holidays (and the HDV is definitely a great bonus). Hopefully there are some people around that still use these cameras and can possibly send some more video links so that we can see how this camera reacts to certain conditions.

Anyways Im looking forward to playing with this camera and I should hopefully have mine in a week or so.

Dave Eaton
May 10th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Hopefully there are some people around that still use these cameras and can possibly send some more video links so that we can see how this camera reacts to certain conditions.

Hi Greg,

That's one of the hassles with coming in this late in the game. Everyone else has gone through the cycles of getting and learning this camera. They've uploaded all sorts of samples and tests and those links are long dead. I doubt if many are willing go though it again, especially for an audience of just a few. Not even sure how many are still reading this board.

You know more about this stuff than I do and probably have your own procedures for testing new video gear. I just plan to watch the DVD, learn the camera, and run assorted tests in varying conditions to see what I need to do (if anything) to get the kind of results I want.

Greg Toope
May 13th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Hey Dave,

Hopefully when you get your cam you will post any tips or tricks that you come across. Im ordering my HD1u this week (also getting an extra battery, .9 ND filter, Steady Stick, camera light, and a new tripod), so Im really excited to get the new setup, and im sure ill also be doing a lot of testing.

Anyways Illl be sure to post any worthy clips and findings that I come across.

Keep posting :)

macbook dual core 1.83ghz
PowerMac G4 1.25ghz
JVC GY-DV300u
Sony TRV-17

Dave Eaton
May 13th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Hello Greg,

Hopefully when you get your cam you will post any tips or tricks that you come across. Im ordering my HD1u this week (also getting an extra battery, .9 ND filter, Steady Stick, camera light, and a new tripod), so Im really excited to get the new setup, and im sure ill also be doing a lot of testing.

Mine should be here Tuesday. Then I'll run some simple "anxious to play" tests to see how things work. After that it's reading, study the DVD, surf and learn. Then it's much more informed testing.

Definitely want to test recording in HD, SD and DV and down-sampling HD and SD to DV to see if I can see the differences I've read about. Seeing Carla's message has me wondering if FCP will read SD without a lot of conversions. May load up the JVC software on a Windows machine to see what it does.

I'm going to be making a steadycam (or two or three) like these: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/

Will look into filters later. Maybe a .9 ND, a Black Pro-Mist and Ultra Contrast filter, in addition to a Polarizer.

Not sure how many of the threads you've read but the link on this one is still good. Viewed the trailer for the movie and the stills done with a HD10, looks darn good:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=42312

Dave Eaton
May 15th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Greg,

Found this link in the Camcorder Info JVC forum and thought you might find this interesting, too.

Sports Video in High Definition (JVC JY-HD10)
Comparison of High Definition to Standard Definition for sporting events

http://sportsflashtech.com/video/

Link to the Camcorder Info JVC HDV forum:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/f20

Dave Eaton
May 18th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Received the camera on Tuesday, charged the battery and quickly ran some "intuitive tests" (meaning prior to looking at the manual) in DV mode and imported to the computer. Footage looked good.

Switched to HD mode and ran a few more tests. Couldn't get the computer (Mac) to see the HD footage, I could control the camera but saw nothing on the computer screen -- iMovie showed DV mode, not HD despite my setting it for HD, Final Cut Pro didn't even see the camera.

Started reading the manual a bit, running through menu items, cycling between DV and HD on the camera to set the digital zoom off, sound, etc., and setting things the way I think I'd like them to be. I happened to look up and iMovie was now showing HD (nothing I set should have changed that -- maybe the HD to DV cycling?) so I clicked Play and the saw what was on the tape so I selected Import. Imported fine, a bit slow (my machine was over taxed with other apps running, including FCP), but worked and played back just fine.

Went to FCP and it now saw the camera and imported the footage, faster than iMovie did. Looked good.

Played a bit more and decided that the camera's staying. Now I will open the DVD and learn to use this thing. Buying a second 428 battery and a few filters shortly. The FUN begins!

Greg Toope
May 19th, 2007, 08:19 AM
So now that i see you are having so much fun with the new camera, makes me jealous. HAHAHA. What speed of mac are you running on. Ive never dealt with HDV footage so im hoping my machines will be quick enough. I have a powermac g4 1.25 ghz with 1.25 gigs of Ram and 1 terabyte of hard drive, and a macbook dual core 1.83ghz also with 1.25 gigs of ram and 200 gigs of hard drive.

Anyways Im just waiting for my money to clear Paypal so that I can order my camera and extras. Ill definitely post some stuff once I get it all.

Im sooooo looking forward to it.

Greg

Dave Eaton
May 19th, 2007, 06:42 PM
What speed of mac are you running on. Ive never dealt with HDV footage so im hoping my machines will be quick enough. I have a powermac g4 1.25 ghz with 1.25 gigs of Ram and 1 terabyte of hard drive, and a macbook dual core 1.83ghz also with 1.25 gigs of ram and 200 gigs of hard drive.

Your MacBook will be happier than your PowerMac with HD editing. I assume you're going to use Final Cut Pro vs. iMovie, although you can probably use either — most of what I plan to do can easily be done in iMovie but since I bought FCP I feel I have to use it. :-)

Importing HDV in iMove dropped to about 1/2 speed (a line appeared saying this) on my system, meaning that the video was loading into a buffer and the Mac was behind the camera’s speed. I manually stopped the camera when what I wanted imported was finish playing and the Mac kept loading the video for a few minutes longer.

The process went a bit faster in FCP. My Mac is a dual 867 G4 with 1.5GB RAM and 900GB drive space (four drives) which is marginal for HD in FCP with a bunch of RT features not even showing up, lots of rendering needed, etc. However, I had no problem working with the files nor a HD tutorial a friend loaned me that I’m working with, had to stop and render a bit but not a big deal. Haven’t done anything on my Windows machine yet so I can’t compare.

Anyways Im just waiting for my money to clear Paypal so that I can order my camera and extras.

That's how I paid for mine, too. B&H accepts Paypal and I'll be ordering a Tiffen 1/2 Black Diffusion FX filter and maybe a 0.9 ND filter for the camera in a couple days.

Just watched the DVD and it's a disappointment, not much on actually using the camera. I was so looking forward to really learning the camera from the DVD but there’s not much camera specific information there. I feel like what was presented about the camera could have been in a quick FAQ sheet. Actually, what was camera related is already in this forum. I’m glad it was free or I'd have been a bit bummed. Probably a better DVD in 2004 when getting software to accept HDV was more of a hassle than now. Wish it had been more on the camera though.

Greg Toope
May 20th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Yeah, ill be using FCP 5.1.4, I use it a lot and iMovie would never due for what i need. Im just curious though in regards to the Tiffen 1/2 Black Diffusion FX filter. What is it used for. ive pretty much just used ND and UV filters. So if its a good one to get, It may just be placed on the list.

Dave Eaton
May 20th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Im just curious though in regards to the Tiffen 1/2 Black Diffusion FX filter. What is it used for.

From Tiffen's site: "Black Diffusion/FX® - gives a silky-smooth look to textured surfaces. Suppresses facial blemishes and wrinkles, while maintaining a clear, focused image. The effect of the lighter grades is subtle, with the higher grades becoming gradually more noticeable, all capable of providing a beautiful image."

A friend with a 2-3 HD1's (not local to me or I'd have played with his prior to buying mine) swears by the filter. He tried the #1 but said it bloomed with some lights and the 1/2 doesn't seem to. I first heard of them in "Video Shooter: Storytelling with DV, HD and HDV" by Barry Braverman -- he recommends different filters for a bunch of pro cameras.

Jeff Kellam
May 21st, 2007, 12:20 PM
Hi Greg,

That's one of the hassles with coming in this late in the game. Everyone else has gone through the cycles of getting and learning this camera. They've uploaded all sorts of samples and tests and those links are long dead. I doubt if many are willing go though it again, especially for an audience of just a few. Not even sure how many are still reading this board.

You know more about this stuff than I do and probably have your own procedures for testing new video gear. I just plan to watch the DVD, learn the camera, and run assorted tests in varying conditions to see what I need to do (if anything) to get the kind of results I want.

Dave:

Most people are still here and can help.

I think Steven Dempsey was the first pioneer with the HD-1 and really got things going.

Nowdays he is in the Canon XH-A1 forum if you need help.

There are some good tips in Steve Mullens "Tiny JVC Guide" which is really Appendix D to his larger HDV shooting guide.

I still use my GR HD-1 a lot it's a reliable workhorse.

Where did you get yours, and for how much? I paid almost $3,000 back in the day. I have always wondered if the newest models have any improvements. I know the sensor is different, but Im not sure if it is higher sensitivity or not.

Have fun, it's a nice camera.

Dave Eaton
May 21st, 2007, 05:50 PM
Most people are still here and can help.

Hello Jeff, that's good to hear. This was a hard camera to buy as I kept reading assorted reviews painting it in a bad light. However, bypassing the overly critical reviewers (the "Mikey's" that don't seem to like anything) that were making unreasonable comparisons, the comments from people that hadn't touched the camera but had a firm opinions of it anyway, and focusing on the posts from people that actually own and use the HD1 helped.

After I started looking I discovered that a friend, in another city, has a few of them. They shoot industrial and short films, and assorted other things, and added the HD1's as they couldn't believe all the camera you got for the price -- $1500 when they bought theirs. I asked about some of the concerns I had after my reading and my friend had no idea what I was talking about. Seems they've been using theirs, not reading about them. Mixing the footage in with their higher-end gear, all without knowing all the "limitations" of the HD1 -- how dare them. Reminded me that the bumble bee doesn't know it's not supposed to be able to fly. :-)

They came into them kind of the way I work. You learn how the equipment works and use it as opposed to complaining what it doesn't have and what's not located where it is on your other, different brand/price gear.

Where did you get yours, and for how much? I paid almost $3,000 back in the day. I have always wondered if the newest models have any improvements. I know the sensor is different, but Im not sure if it is higher sensitivity or not.

I got mine at B&H and paid $1,199 for it. One thing I plan to do is add the extended warranty JVC uses, Satisfusion -- not Mack through B&H, since it's only $90 for three years ($125 for four years). I normally don't buy extended warranties but for a HD cam it seems link a good idea.

As for improvements from the initial releases of it, I can't tell you. All I've done so far is play with it inside and out for a bit making sure it would do what I wanted during the return period.

I don't shoot in low light -- what some people call "low light" I call complete darkness. Most everything I do now and will do with video is under controlled conditions. I add the needed light, lock exposure, white balance, and focus, etc. and shoot, so I don't foresee a problem.

Thanks for replying and letting us know we're not alone...the truth is out there.

Damon Gaskin
May 23rd, 2007, 04:48 PM
One question to you guys that recently purchased at B&H.. On your cams does it have "HD CyberCam" on the side? I am simply wondering as I downloaded some literature from JVC that has this on the camera. I simply wish to be sure I am getting the newest revision(I believe my partner and myself have decided on this camera)...

Thanks,

Damon

Dave Eaton
May 23rd, 2007, 07:28 PM
One question to you guys that recently purchased at B&H.. On your cams does it have "HD CyberCam" on the side?

Yep, mine does. It's the outside of the LCD door, just like in the brochure -- with "Digital" above and centered on the HD CyberCam.

Damon Gaskin
May 23rd, 2007, 08:24 PM
Ok and thanks David. So how has it been for you with it soo far? I am thinking my friend and I should be able to order ours tomorrow I think.

Dave Eaton
May 23rd, 2007, 09:20 PM
Ok and thanks David. So how has it been for you with it soo far? I am thinking my friend and I should be able to order ours tomorrow I think.

Note: B&H is closed until Thursday 3/24 at 9:30PM EST.

I'm having fun with it. Ran more tests today and burned a few DVDs, everything is going very well. I like this camera.

I stopped off at a friendly computer repair shop to say “Hello.” Took the camera as I wanted to play with it in different lighting extremes; they have lime green walls, the back of the shop is dim, and the front has VOLUMES of light blasting through the large uncovered windows. I wanted to shoot back lit, side lit, front lit, dim lit, and mixed lighting conditions and this was my chance to do it all in the same place. Plus, I want to get used to the camera's controls so changing things can become second nature.

When I walked in the guy behind the counter shouts, “Wow! Now THAT’S a video camera!” Techs in back came up to see what he was talking about. Camera definitely has the visual effect I was looking for. :-)

The tests came out darn well. This is not the way I intend to work but I was just playing around and REAL pleased that the camera performed so well.

Damon Gaskin
May 24th, 2007, 04:23 AM
Very cool, very cool indeed!

Yes, I know they are not open.. LOL I checked their site and know they will not be open until this evening. We are hoping to probably do some overnight Saturday shipping to recieve them on Saturday. Otherwise it would be Monday.

But that is very good news with what your saying about the cam! I can't wait! Really can't!!!

Thanks! Any other tidbits you have found as a beginner? How easy is it for you adjusting and getting to settings such as shutter speed, etc? And have you experienced the flipping menu's issue that people have reported with the shutter speed and iris supposedly being non independent?

Thanks,

Damon

Dave Eaton
May 24th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Any other tidbits you have found as a beginner?

No real tips yet. The manual isn't very well written -- using the PDF version so I can search for things. Could be just me but it took me a bit to find the Backlit button (BLC on the front body, in front of the Focus lock), the Menu button is on the back, bottom, to the left of the battery. For some reason I didn't see it.

I had the LCD panel open, was looking at the controls the LCD covers, and in the rear (to the right) you see the button names there. The buttons are the Program AE, Shutter Speed/Aperture, White Balance, and Volume. That's it, no "Menu", so I started looking elsewhere. On my 2 or 15th look around I looked at the back buttons again but this time from the back of the camera, the buttons are labeled again there.

This time the Volume control is labeled MMenu (first M is reversed), below the W.B., above the control instead of below like the others. I swear I missed it a bunch of times and scoured the manual looking for a hint. A drawing putting to the locations of the buttons would have been nice. :-)

How easy is it for you adjusting and getting to settings such as shutter speed, etc?

Setting things is pretty easy. I've been working from the viewfinder and have been able to press whatever button and setting I wanted pretty quickly.

And have you experienced the flipping menu's issue that people have reported with the shutter speed and iris supposedly being non independent?

No, not yet, and I may never experience it as a problem due to shooting in more controlled situations.

I'm coming from a different place than the others. My only experience with DV is a couple small cameras. My first was the original 35mm still camera looking Canon Optura (which I didn't use but wish I did) and the Canon Optura 20 which I replaced it with. I kind of like the Optura 20 as I can lock focus, exposure, white balance and get what I want -- original Optura was a much better camera, I just didn't know at the time.

The Optura 20 has no real controls but I can do what I need with it. So, for me, the GR-HD1 was a nice step up and has more controls than I'm used to. Someone that's used to bigger and a full manual control cameras sees the GR-HD1 as a step back control-wise.

By the way, in my DVD tests the GR-HD1 is putting out a nicer cleaner image and with better color even in DV mode than the Optura 20 does, I wasn't expecting much of a difference in straight DV mode, so that was a nice bonus.

Damon Gaskin
May 24th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Very cool indeed. Thank you for the input. LOL Now my friend and I are simply trying to find a way to get our cams by Saturday (we were hoping for getting them to us tomorrow actually to be honest)they would able to since B&H isn't open until tonight at 930.

Besides B&H what are the more reputable dealers you guys think?

Greg Toope
May 24th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Im also finally ordering mine tomorrow. It takes forever to transfer money to paypal (im in canada)!! And with B&H being closed for the last couple of days I have been going crazy wanting to be able to play with the camera. So Im ordering it as soon as the online store opens which is actually 9:30pm tonight.

Definitely nice to see that there are still people using the cam and still new people looking at buying it for the first time.

Very exciting.