View Full Version : So, what's better out of the GL2 or XL1?

Bob Benkosky
April 25th, 2003, 11:36 PM
So, what's better out of the GL2 or XL1, not S version, just normal XL1.

I could get a new GL2 or a used XL1. I am still thinking the GL2 has the edge at this point.

I might do some films, but I'm pretty good at making video look better than most people do. Style has alot to do with how much of the film look you can obtain rather than the camera, although the better image you have to work with, the easier it is to make each shot look like you want it to.

Ken Tanaka
April 25th, 2003, 11:53 PM
Bob,
If you don't need the modularity of the XL1, go with the GL2. You'll find its slightly higher resolution and more extensive image controls a real delight. I use both a GL2 and XL1s and can say that their imaging, and imaging controls, are equivalent for most practical purposes.

Jaime Valles
April 25th, 2003, 11:54 PM
>>So, what's better out of the GL2 or XL1, not S version, just normal XL1<<

Now, that's a good question...

The GL2 has smaller CCD's, but a higher number of pixels per CCD than the XL1 (or XL1s, for that matter). It's also lighter weight, and less intrusive than the XL1's big body, which may or may not be a good thing. It depends on what you want.

The XL1 has the interchangeable lens system, which is probably its biggest advantage. If you're not going to get more lenses, I say get the GL2, for several reasons:

a) It's new, versus the used XL1.

b) I believe it has most, if not all of the manual controls of the XL1 (anyone feel free to correct me on this).

c) The image quality is superb. So is that of the XL1.

d) They both have Frame Mode, which to a lot of people resembles film motion rendering.

d) When a new camera comes out that you want more than this one, the new GL2 will probably have more resale value than the used XL1 by that point ( I would assume).

Your statement about style having much more to do with the "film look" than what camera you use is completely accurate. Sure, bigger CCD's make for a better image, but that's not what will make your projects look like films. Style will. Good lighting, choreographed camera movements, tasteful composition, and good sound recording and editing will. Not to mention a good story.

If I were you, I'd get the GL2 and spend any extra $$$ on some good lights, a quality shotgun microphone, and maybe some screw-on filters so you can experiment with the look of your video. You really said it best yourself:

"Style has alot to do with how much of the film look you can obtain rather than the camera"

Exactly.

Alex Knappenberger
April 26th, 2003, 12:03 AM
Yes. I'd also get the GL2 and spend the rest on accessories....

Dylan Couper
April 26th, 2003, 09:26 AM
<<<- d) When a new camera comes out that you want more than this one, the new GL2 will probably have more resale value than the used XL1 by that point ( I would assume). ->>>

This is true, but not a valid arguement. The GL2 will have a higher resale value relative to it's initial new price, but will depreciate substantialy by going from new to used. If you buy a used XL1, it has already depreciated, and you will probably be able to sell it for almost the same as what you paid for it (if you sell before the XL2 comes out).

A used XL1 sells for about the same as a new GL2. There will be no "extra" money left over for more accessories one way or the other.

If you want a run and gun camera, buy the GL2 and bite the bullet on depreciation.

If you want a bigger camera (for whatever reason, studio, ENG, impress chicks), get the XL1.

You will be happy with the picture quality of either one.