View Full Version : Television Production Handbook (Hardcover) by Herbert Zettl

Gints Klimanis
March 29th, 2007, 05:09 PM
This book is quite pricey but may be an excellent textbook. Have you read it ?

Television Production Handbook (Hardcover) by Herbert Zettl

Sean Smith MD
April 17th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Yes, Zettl is top shell. I studied under him in college. You cannot go wrong with this man's teachings.

Glenn Chan
May 13th, 2007, 01:56 PM
From what I skimmed of Zettl (Video Basics), it seems a like a superficial overview but doesn't give you any real in-depth understanding into any particular topic.

Theory-wise, it is academic and doesn't give you theory on practical issues. A book like Matters of Light and Depth would be a book that has practical theory, whereas it seems like Zettl looks at things from weird academic perspectives. The television camera converts whatever it "sees" (optical images) into electrical signals that can be temporarily stored or directly reconverted by the television set into visible screen images.
A more practical way of looking at it is what television does for people. It's a means of mass communication. In my opinion, it's bizarre to look at what television physically does. It's simply not a practical way of looking at things.

It is low on information on how to do things since his writing tends to be overview/theory.