View Full Version : Edius HDV preview Output through Firewire?

Matthew Wilson
April 1st, 2007, 06:27 PM
I've searched all over but I cannot find the post where I read that Edius 4 can output a HDV preview through firewire for monitoring. The hardware settings has a check box for such a thing but I cannot get it to work. Anyone have any ideas?

Paul Wags
April 2nd, 2007, 08:59 AM
One of the great things about EDIUS is you can be in a HDV timeline and still suck in normal DV material.

If you are editing in a HDV timline and want it feed out to the camera via firewire then just change your project settings to DV 16.9
and you will get realtime output as you edit the HDV timeline.

How many NLE's can you do that in? FCP...nope....Prem....nope...ha ha...

Matthew Wilson
April 2nd, 2007, 11:03 AM
Thanks Paul,
I'm at work right now so I'll try that tonight - So, you just work with hdv on a dv timeline to see the output on a monitor for CC and the like and then change back the output to hdv when you are ready to render? That sounds like a decent compromise, but is there anyway to get hdv output to an hd monitor?

Ted Ramasola
April 2nd, 2007, 09:13 PM
Matthew,

I do the same approach as Paul, I have an old storm card and i use its s-video out to check color and the like on a TV. When im about to render, I switch to HD preset. Just note that you CANNOT switch timebase after you selected and started your project. You can change SD to HD as long as its the same 16:9 23.97 SD to 16:9 23.97 HD or 30P SD to 30P HD.

Ted

Kevin Shaw
April 2nd, 2007, 11:44 PM
... is there anyway to get hdv output to an hd monitor?

You can buy an Edius NX card for HD monitoring or try to get the same result using a video card with component outputs...but the video card may not handle the HD color space correctly.

Mike Downey
April 3rd, 2007, 12:03 PM
I've searched all over but I cannot find the post where I read that Edius 4 can output a HDV preview through firewire for monitoring. The hardware settings has a check box for such a thing but I cannot get it to work. Anyone have any ideas?

HDV doesn't work the same way as DV.

The two suggestions given to you were excellent suggestions

1. Put the Tineline into SD 16:9 and edit from there. This gives a couple af advantages.

a. You get much more realtime during editing. You can get several layers as well as filters before the computer bogs down.

b. It gives you realtime output to a Monitor without special hardware.

Disadvantage

a. Make sure you wait until the end to add titles. The title placement doesn't work the same with SD 16:9 as it does with hd.

To me the best workflow is to work (if you are going to DVD) is to

1. Work in SD
2. Place titles on project
3. Output to a DV file
4. Convert to Mpg
5. Go back to the timeline
6. Switch to HD
7. Realign titles
8. Save or Output.

The other option for output to a monitor for HD is to buy a NX card with the output card.

Mike Downey
Grass Valley

Paul Wags
April 4th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Hey Mike
When are they going to get the forum back up?

Just to add, I have a Quadro FX560 card and using the onboard 128 graphic port on the computers motherboard as well, I can get 3 screens showing 1280/1024 res.

Can get component video out in real time as well if I use 2 screens and a component device as the 3rd.

Also with this setup I get preview still as I suck in material to the 3rd screen and even when converting to the Canopus HQ codec.

Just another way to set up EDIUS I suppose.

Mike Downey
April 4th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Hey Mike
When are they going to get the forum back up?

Just to add, I have a Quadro FX560 card and using the onboard 128 graphic port on the computers motherboard as well, I can get 3 screens showing 1280/1024 res.

Can get component video out in real time as well if I use 2 screens and a component device as the 3rd.

Also with this setup I get preview still as I suck in material to the 3rd screen and even when converting to the Canopus HQ codec.

Just another way to set up EDIUS I suppose.

As new Video Cards come out and the quality gets better and better the options just open up!

As for the forums, they are going to be very different then they were before and I believe they are going to be opened in the near future but I am not sure exactly when.

Matthew Wilson
April 4th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Thanks everyone - switched the project to DV 16:9 and got the preview output.