View Full Version : Codec for multicam in FCP from HD100

Trevor Allin
April 2nd, 2007, 07:16 AM
Hi

I have just completed a 3 camera shoot, a HD251, HD100 and Z1. I am using FCP and had, as usual major capture problems in terms of time code breaks. So I have used DVHSCAP and will then convert using MpegStreamclip.

My dilema is that I will be doing multicam editing in FCP using an external hard drive. HDV works frine for that. But I am not sure AIC will as its data rate is a lot higher. Final output is SD DVD.

Anyone recommend what wold be best to do from here? Best codec etc? I know its more of an FCP question, but I figure you guys must have come up against this.

Thanks

Trevor

Paolo Ciccone
April 2nd, 2007, 10:28 AM
Hi Trevor.
I've been able to use AIC for a 3-camera edit of HD100 footage in FCP with a FW 800 external disk. You can also do the edit off-line with a low-res format and then switch to the high-res, high-quality version when you'r done. I know, not quite as sexy as editing in HD... :)

Trevor Allin
April 2nd, 2007, 11:52 AM
Hi Paolo

Thanks for this. Can you o the low res / offline thing with media that has already been captured but not through FCP?

Thanks.

Trevor

Paolo Ciccone
April 2nd, 2007, 04:28 PM
Hi Paolo

Thanks for this. Can you o the low res / offline thing with media that has already been captured but not through FCP?

Thanks.

Trevor

Yes, the capture software used doesn't matter. Take a look at the FCP docs, the Media manager can be used to set the offline/online source material.
You can create lowres versions of your clips, say Photo Jpeg, full res but with a quality of 35%, and the replace them for your final CC and output.