View Full Version : Headphones for Gl2

R.J. Paradee
April 27th, 2003, 06:45 PM
Tried searching first.

Can anyone suggest a great set of headphones for a Gl2. I tried plugging my AKG's I use in my recording studio into the side of my Gl2 while I was recording using a lav mic, and could barely hear anything. I thought they would work fine, but they don't. Would appreciate any input. Ofcourse my levels were fine, and the playback was great after digitizing. But I really need to hear so I can monitor better.

Thanks anyone...

Ken Tanaka
April 27th, 2003, 07:05 PM
R.J.,
Do a search on this one, as it's a frequent topic. The Sony 7506's are the defacto standard, followed closely by Sennheisers.

R.J. Paradee
April 27th, 2003, 07:44 PM
Thanks Ken. Really appreciate it. Those are what I need then.
Have a great week. And I am glad this forum doesn't have smiley faces. BTW...

Gilbert Xiong
April 30th, 2003, 08:10 AM
I am using some Bose Triport headphones with my GL2. I purchased them primarily for recreational use, but since it performs so well that I decided to use it with the GL2. You'll have to hear it to appreciate it.

- Gil

R.J. Paradee
April 30th, 2003, 09:03 AM
Thanks Gilbert, I love all Bose Products, I will look into those cans. Appreciate your response? Isn't this forum great?

Richard D. George
April 30th, 2003, 09:42 AM
I use the new Sennheiser 280 Pro headphones (HD 280?) with my GL2 and they work fine. The phones seem quite sensitive.

Bill Hardy
April 30th, 2003, 04:52 PM
I agree with Ken; the Sony's seem to amplify the incomming signal so you can hear who you are interviewing in a crowded room, in comparison to some other headphones I have used.

Ben Lynn
May 1st, 2003, 07:10 AM
Make sure the headphone volume is turned up on the camera as well. If it's low then you won't hear very good.

Ben Lynn

Gilbert Xiong
May 1st, 2003, 07:39 AM
Let us know what you end up purachasing!

Erik J Na
May 1st, 2003, 09:39 AM
I agree with Bill and Ken. I use 7506 myself for field recording. also, it's fairly compact compare to bulky AKG :-D

Richard D. George
May 1st, 2003, 03:39 PM
I like the Sennheiser's, as noted above.

If you are considering Sony's, look at the 7505 as well as the 7506. Some people like the 7505 for field work, and the 7506 for studio / editing work. Just a thought.

Ken Tanaka
May 1st, 2003, 03:51 PM
Richard,
That's an excellent point and that's exactly what I do. The 7505's are a bit more compact for schlepping. I like to keep my 7506's clean and un-schlepped for indoor/studio work. They sound identical to me, although I'm no beagle.

One other, highly compact alternative is Sony's MDR-EX51LP Fontopia headphones (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=6BBOKumysZ9OPdcDfjdEIaa83Ge8GoP2yVQ=?ProductID=WAwKC0%2eNPrYAAAD0B3iEld3v). These fit into your ear canal and do a pretty good job of isolating environmental sound. They have excellent sound.

Richard D. George
May 2nd, 2003, 09:42 AM
Ken's link to Sony Style revealed that the product is no longer available (at least there).

The videographer for www.luminous-landscape.com is using ear buds by Etymotic Research. They are not cheap, but supposedly work well at isolating sound comfortably. For these, and other cool headphone stuff, check out www.headphone.com.

Richard George

Ken Tanaka
May 2nd, 2003, 10:37 AM
Well nuts! The Sony site must have expired the link. Sorry about that.

They're still available and still on the site. Go to www.sonystyle.com and look-up their product number "MDR-EX51LP".

Scott Silverman
May 8th, 2003, 10:16 PM
Also,
The Sony MDR-EX71SL are excellent too. They are a older model of the EX51 but work just as well. I think 71s the have a more attractive look, but thats just me. The 71s aren't sold in America any longer. However, you can get them off eBay from Hong Kong for only $5 shipping. Good deal for thoses headphones. Some people feel they have a slightly "muddy" bass sound, but I think for the most part you will be fine. Good luck!

R.J. Paradee
May 9th, 2003, 07:09 PM
Thanks Ken, Bill, Ben, Richard, Gilbert, Erik, and Scott for all your input. You guys are great! I'm leaning toward the Sonys.

Paul Bravmann
March 9th, 2004, 10:33 AM
i'm wondering if the new in-ear ipod phones might be similar spec-wise to the sony fontopias that ken and others have recommended here as an alternative to traditional cans.

i can't find specs, but here's a link:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9394G/A

thanks,
phb