View Full Version : Mac friendly tape catalog software?

Ben Eytalis
April 7th, 2007, 09:49 AM
I am looking all over for video tape library catalog software, I can't find anything that I'm looking for.
I've found DVD library software. That's not what I'm looking for.
I want to be able to search my own database to find my footage on my now huge collection of edited content/raw footage video tapes.
I want tape name, subject, length, date, etc. I'd like to be able to search by criterea. Sort of like how iTunes works.
Does anyone know of a good simple application? What are you doning to organize your video tape/DVD library?

Grant Harrington
April 7th, 2007, 10:46 AM
I am looking all over for video tape library catalog software, I can't find anything that I'm looking for.
I've found DVD library software. That's not what I'm looking for.
I want to be able to search my own database to find my footage on my now huge collection of edited content/raw footage video tapes.
I want tape name, subject, length, date, etc. I'd like to be able to search by criterea. Sort of like how iTunes works.
Does anyone know of a good simple application? What are you doning to organize your video tape/DVD library?

I use iDive, http://www.aquafadas.com/idive-digital-video/index.php, but there are others. iDive let's you record DV native (if you have HDD space), compressed footage, and even frame grabs at specified intervals (to save HDD space). You can then tag all your clips and search just like you do with photo catalogs. You can also import footage you've already captured and import non-copy protected DVD's.

If I want to search for video at specific location (home, grandma's house, park, etc..), I just enter than in the search box, and then if I want a clip with a specific person at that location, just modify the search to narrow the search. It also sorts by date from the timecode on the tape. I've gotten great support from the developers.

I haven't used these two, but you could try these as well.

http://www.imagineproducts.com/
http://www.squarebox.co.uk/

Grant

Greg Boston
April 7th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Take a look at iDive. You can download the dmg and demo it. It was the only application that would correctly read the anamorphic flag in my XL2 video for frame grabs and produce the correct output ratio.

-gb-

EDIT: Looks like Grant beat me to it. So there's two votes for iDive.

John Miller
April 7th, 2007, 01:14 PM
CatDV - http://www.squarebox.co.uk/ (Mac OS X and Windows)

Bill Davis
April 7th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Yeah, you can use one of the "purpose built" cataloging programs. They're fine.

Or...

You can invest a little more time in a REAL database program and start learning it by building this kind of "10-minutes simple to create" tape logging database.

Learning iDive or another commercial search/sort app lets you create a database like the one those program designers think you need. They might be spot on - or not - for what you want now and in the future.

Learning something like Filemaker Pro (or any other popular general purpose DB) starts you on a skill set that you'll NEVER outgrow. You can catalog your tapes now, your gear later, your collection of vintage 8-track tapes someday...

You can catalog tape still grabs now. Video clips later. Catalog sound effects, generate your own customer invoices, to bid sheets, create a form for location scouting, customize one form for logging when you're doing a single-tape project for a single client. And customize that same form (loosing none of your previous effort) when you have a single client that wants to do a 10 part tape training program later. (Wow, I didn't think I'd need both a CLIENT number and a separate PROJECT number when I originally designed this...)

If you just want to do it quick and dirty, use an app.

If you want to build a skill that will last you your whole lifetime, perhaps a packaged product won't the the best long term investment.

Pretty much up to you.

Personally, I couldn't run my production business without knowing how to create and manage my own data the way I want. But that's me.

Good luck.