View Full Version : Capture Problems - Disk Space

Daniel Stone
April 10th, 2007, 07:39 PM
In FCP 5, after capturing for a while, it stops and says something like: 'capture stopped because of lack of disk space'. Yet my scratch disk has over 230 GB of free disk space which, according to the display right above the error message, is over 1000 minutes of digital video.

Can anyone help? What's going on?

Kevin Randolph
April 10th, 2007, 09:07 PM
I don't mean to sound insulting when I ask this, so please don't take it that way, but when I trouble shoot something I start at the bonehead stuff and work toward complicated. That being said, are you sure that the disk with the 230 gb is set as your scratch disk? Some other info might help us out on helping you too. Is the drive internal or external? How is it connected to the computer? How far into a tape do you get before the error message shows up?

Thanks,
Kevin

Nick Royer
April 10th, 2007, 10:50 PM
I don't mean to sound insulting when I ask this, so please don't take it that way, but when I trouble shoot something I start at the bonehead stuff and work toward complicated. That being said, are you sure that the disk with the 230 gb is set as your scratch disk? Some other info might help us out on helping you too. Is the drive internal or external? How is it connected to the computer? How far into a tape do you get before the error message shows up?

Thanks,
Kevin

That could be the problem. Sometimes FCP will do that if the audio is out of sync. You may want to re-install Final Cut.

Daniel Stone
April 11th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Don't worry - I'm not insulted. Thanks for helping!

It's an external Firewire Drive. It is set as the scratch disk and I cleared all other disks from the scratch disk list.

I capture from a Firewire camcorder and, roughly 9 minutes into capture, I get the error that I'm out of disk space. Yet my capture window tells me I have over 200 GB of disk space.

It seems that FCP has all sorts of little quirks like this and I'm starting not to like it.

Boyd Ostroff
April 11th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Are you running any anti-virus software? Awhile ago I read a technote which discussed a similar problem which occurred after an FCP crash while anti-virus software was active.

Daniel Stone
April 18th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. I never did get it fixed and I think that, for some problems, there simply are no explanations and/or fixes. So I just went out and bought an 8-core Mac Pro. I figured I'd just start all over. So far so good!

Nate Benson
April 18th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. I never did get it fixed and I think that, for some problems, there simply are no explanations and/or fixes. So I just went out and bought an 8-core Mac Pro. I figured I'd just start all over. So far so good!

I wish I had the funds to just go buy a new computer at the snap of a finger.
I want to say the scratch disks weren't set up properly, but who knows.

Daniel Stone
April 20th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Believe me... it was about time. I've been using a G4 to do Uncompressed HD editing and compositing (Shake) for a while now. I'm surprised it didn't melt.

I have to say that I love Mac editing but, after 5 years, I've found that there are a lot of strange quirks which require some interesting work arounds. For example, every time I want to send something to a deck through firewire I have to close FCP, find my preference files, drag them to the trash and restart FCP -- even on the new MacPro. It's all part of the experience, though.

Douglas Toltzman
April 25th, 2007, 07:09 AM
My money says the external drive was formatted with a PC file system that would only allow files of 2GB or under. The fact that the capture mysteriously ended around 9 minutes (2GB of DV25) leads me to believe the external drive did not contain a Mac HFS+ filesystem.