View Full Version : is it true? mpeg2 conversion not possible on mac?

Joff B. Rein
April 11th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Hej, can someone maybe explane me why i have so much problems with making an mpeg2 on a mac?

My client wants digibeta tapes downconverted to 8000 kbits/sec mpeg2, iso standards for satelite moviechannel broadcast, it seems like the easyest job for my two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon's (quad-core)/black magic design dl-extreme hd and sony tape-deck system, but no

hmm, i found out that final cut studio (compressor) converts anything but a plane mpeg2 directly, well, you need extra pluginns and install expensive non-apple converting software and i still you cannot use it because the audio is muxed or something..

i have no idea why this simple task, make an mpeg2, is such a problem, i found out on obscure videoforums that i'm not the only one who noticed this issue, , but i cannot find an explanation...

fore sure, apple's h264 renderings are absolutely superior to mpeg2 in quality of compression but that is not what i need

my solution to this dirty job is back to pc, a simple canopus-card and some hd's, that'll sort things out i think

but damn' this is a huge downer for my mac-love

a mac is not a pc

William Hohauser
April 11th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Hej, can someone maybe explane me why i have so much problems with making an mpeg2 on a mac?

My client wants digibeta tapes downconverted to 8000 kbits/sec mpeg2, iso standards for satelite moviechannel broadcast, it seems like the easyest job for my two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon's (quad-core)/black magic design dl-extreme hd and sony tape-deck system, but no

hmm, i found out that final cut studio (compressor) converts anything but a plane mpeg2 directly, well, you need extra pluginns and install expensive non-apple converting software and i still you cannot use it because the audio is muxed or something..

i have no idea why this simple task, make an mpeg2, is such a problem, i found out on obscure videoforums that i'm not the only one who noticed this issue, , but i cannot find an explanation...

fore sure, apple's h264 renderings are absolutely superior to mpeg2 in quality of compression but that is not what i need

my solution to this dirty job is back to pc, a simple canopus-card and some hd's, that'll sort things out i think

but damn' this is a huge downer for my mac-love

a mac is not a pc

I am assuming that your client's facility is looking for a transport stream. I never need to make these as most distribution facilities like to create their own mpeg2 stream from a master tape.

Look into adjusting the settings in Compressor. Select a standard DVD compression setting. Open the inspector window while the MPEG2 setting is selected. Click on "extras" and you'll find a check box for creating a transport stream file. You can also adjust the bit stream rate to the facilities specs. Ask if they want a CBR stream or a VBR stream.

If Compressor isn't right, check out MPEGStreamclip. That's a free download.

Joff B. Rein
April 11th, 2007, 03:51 PM
tenx for this quick reaction, and yes it's a transport stream
your suggestions where also my first solutions,

compressor makes an mv2 with splitted audio, wich caused problems in audiosync but i'll have another fresh look on the 'check box '!

MPEGStreamclip works fine , but it means an extra step, a time consuming action, i want to convert at least 30 hrs digibeta a month

i'm hoping for one simple push on a button which starts a fully-automated mpeg2 conversion-path :P

William Hohauser
April 13th, 2007, 02:11 PM
I still waiting for the button that edits an entire project with one push.

If the transport stream in Compressor works, you can save the setting for the next job. I am surprised that the facility is willing to accept an outside transport stream. Can't they do a simple transcode from a VOB file on a standard video DVD? That's how a number of places do it. It would be easier for you.

Charles Hurley
April 13th, 2007, 11:42 PM
You can export mpeg2 directly from FCP using the export quicktime conversion or you can do it with quicktime externally but it's all the same thing. I don't think my system has any expensive plug ins, v5.14, you just need to dig around.

Liam Hall
April 14th, 2007, 01:49 AM
tenx for this quick reaction, and yes it's a transport stream
your suggestions where also my first solutions,

compressor makes an mv2 with splitted audio, wich caused problems in audiosync but i'll have another fresh look on the 'check box '!

MPEGStreamclip works fine , but it means an extra step, a time consuming action, i want to convert at least 30 hrs digibeta a month

i'm hoping for one simple push on a button which starts a fully-automated mpeg2 conversion-path :P
Create a workflow in Automator using MPegstreamclip to make your muxed MPeg2. Then you can sit back and whatch the flowers grow.

Liam.

Joff B. Rein
April 14th, 2007, 01:37 PM
tenx guys!, that thing with the flowers sounds like the way i want it to let things happen, i knew it must be possible but i still don't understand why fcp foesn't have a decent mpeg2 support of it's own.

Joff B. Rein
April 14th, 2007, 01:56 PM
If the transport stream in Compressor works, you can save the setting for the next job. I am surprised that the facility is willing to accept an outside transport stream. Can't they do a simple transcode from a VOB file on a standard video DVD? That's how a number of places do it. It would be easier for you.

if i understand it right than that's the fast way:) the people who did the job before me used that method, it's much faster but it's a bit smelly,

most films on dvd are around 6000 kbits/sec, the satelite's 'playbox' can takes 8000, so you need to upconvert the signal a bit, i don't like that, though not many people can see the difference in 2000 kbits but i'm sure it's an important factor in the overall look and feel of the station

William Hohauser
April 14th, 2007, 04:31 PM
if i understand it right than that's the fast way:) the people who did the job before me used that method, it's much faster but it's a bit smelly,

most films on dvd are around 6000 kbits/sec, the satelite's 'playbox' can takes 8000, so you need to upconvert the signal a bit, i don't like that, though not many people can see the difference in 2000 kbits but i'm sure it's an important factor in the overall look and feel of the station

Smelly?!? I've had a few VHS tapes from clients that smelled but a DVD?

If your DigiBetas are feature films then, yes, using presets will compress the projects more then needed. You can always adjust the bit rates to the facility's limit. Compressor used to have a 1 hour preset that was around 8000. Recent versions have 90 minutes as the highest bit-rate preset.

The servers I'm familiar with can take bit rates over 10,000. Perhaps the 8000 limit is an economic decision on the facility's part.

Charles Hurley
April 15th, 2007, 12:44 AM
tenx guys!, that thing with the flowers sounds like the way i want it to let things happen, i knew it must be possible but i still don't understand why fcp foesn't have a decent mpeg2 support of it's own.

It does, you just don't know how to use it.

Greg Boston
April 15th, 2007, 01:23 AM
It does, you just don't know how to use it.

I hope you meant that in the kindest way possible and that you want to help Charles with this problem.

-gb-

Joff B. Rein
April 15th, 2007, 04:09 AM
i can understand his reaction because it sounds like a stupid problem, but i challenge him to try and make a simple mpeg2 8000kbits/sec -export with one (muxed) audio line on the fcp-studio

Charles Hurley
April 16th, 2007, 01:48 AM
My apologies. Mpeg2 yes. Muxed no.