View Full Version : sending from FCP to soundtrack

Andrew Kemler
April 12th, 2007, 12:01 AM
fcp 5.1.4 g5 2.7 4 gb ram (I have a good serial not stolen one)
'sending to sountrack pro from final cut as sountrack pro audio file project'

I load up FCP, look at the sequence and find a clip with audio sitting on A1 and A2, I select this clip (with both a video track and the audio) and then right click to send to "soundtrack pro audio file" to do clean up and reduction and 1/2 the time the option is greyed out/unavailable, the other 1/2 of the time I can use the option and begin my "round trip" with no problem...

anyone have a clue as to why some clips A1 and A2 tracks WILL go out to audio file, while others, which seem to me to have nothing different than the other clips WILL NOT give me the option and leave it grey? I tried it with the files linked and also unlinked and there is no difference

If anyone has any clue and can help I'd greatly appreciate it.

thanks
andy

David Knaggs
April 12th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Hi Andrew.

I've had a similar problem on a current project and, although I've absolutely no idea as to what is causing this problem, I have come up with a workaround that allows me to get the audio file into and out of Soundtrack Pro.

From memory, this is what I did:

1. "Lock" (click the little "padlock" symbol [Lock Track control] on the far left of the timeline) the V1 track and the A1 track.
2. Select the A2 track.
3. Now unlock the V1 and A1 track. (Note that the A2 track should still be the only thing selected.)
4. Send the audio file to Soundtrack Pro, i.e it should no longer be greyed out.
5. Do the sound edit on the file in Soundtrack Pro, save and return to FCP.
6. You now only have a mono track, of course, so now double click the newly created sound file (whether it's now in A1 or A2) in the FCP timeline to bring the edited sound file up in the viewer, then drag it into the vacant (A1 or A2) track.
7. Select both A1 and A2, then select Alt L to make them into a stereo pair.

This, of course, assumes that you had the same feed into A1 and A2 in the first place (rather than, say, a boom mic feed going into A1 and a lapel mic feed going into A2).

I have zero theory behind this phenomenon and am only presenting this on a "this is what worked for me, perhaps it might work for you" basis.

In the meantime, I'm checking earlier in my workflow (right back to my audio set-ups on my camera) to hopefully eliminate this sort of thing happening in future.

Andrew Kemler
April 13th, 2007, 09:17 AM
thanks a lot for taking the time to help me out. this forum saves my liife about once a week,
andy k