View Full Version : LANC control on GL2

Steve Baker
April 12th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Hi all,

I bought a used GL2 in Dec. 05, and have used it a number of times without trouble. Though with all the "Remove Cassette Error" postings I've seen, I am on eggshells wondeing when or if it will conk out on me. If it does, I am sure it will be at the most in-opportune time possible. But hopefully not.

I have a question regarding the LANC control. I've seen some LANC tripods for sale on ebay for around $50, but have no idea whether they are worth the trouble or not. Does anyone know what features can be controlled by the LANC? Focus? Zoom? Aperture? Anyone use LANC?

Thanks,
Steve

Michael Westphal
April 12th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Steve, I use a LANC controller on a GL2. It works great. Record/Stop, Zoom, focus, wake from sleep, and data display. Apeture would be great, but I don't think it's possible. I've never seen a controller that has a control for that anyway.

Chris Hurd
April 12th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Search for LANC in our Remote Lens Controllers (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=123) forum -- tons of discussions, many involving the GL2.

The Canon ZR-2000 offers limited exposure control over LANC.

Yev Belman
April 14th, 2007, 11:18 AM
I was looking at Zoom Commander II myself. They sell for only $160, about the same price as a used Verizoom vz pro-L on ebay, but they have something Pro-L is lacking and that is the automatic focus on/off. It's nice to let the camera grab the focus and switch back to manual (avoid focus seeking). With the 2.5" flip out monitor it's a guessing game when it comes to focusing yourself. I'm interested in hearing other's opinions.

Dale Baglo
April 15th, 2007, 10:15 PM
A year ago, I did a bit of internet research and decided on a Bebob Zoe LANC controller for my GL2. I wanted something that I could also attach to the lower end of a monopod so I could do crane shots. (I ended up also buying an LCD monitor that I mount near the LANC controller.) The whole contraption allows me to keep the GL2 about 8 or 9 feet in the air for extended periods of time. (I bury the butt of the monopod into a pouch on my belt.) Anyway, have a look at the Bebob.

Travis Cossel
April 16th, 2007, 12:35 AM
I've been using a VariZoom model for a while now, and they've worked great.