View Full Version : Motion to FCP Problem

Jonathan Nelson
April 12th, 2007, 03:18 PM
What is the best way to get a motion project to FCP without losing quality?

I have tried a bunch of methods including the "lossless+apha movie" preset. What happens is I get the title in FCP and then export using compressor with the DVD mpeg2 preset but the text/graphics look extremely bad once I play them on the dvd player.

In FCP, I have the sequences set to "ntsc DV" using square pixels. I tried other presets but each changes the look of the motion graphic.

However, if I export strait out of motion to compressor using the DVD mpeg2 preset, the graphics look great! But there is no way I can edit this film in motion! My mac pro chokes on motion as it is.

So, I am kind of in a bind.

I am using the motion template - "sketch.NTSC"

Doug Tessler
April 12th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Export as lossless alpha channel

Animation codec

Doug T

Jonathan Nelson
April 12th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Doug,

Thanks for the tip. I finally found the problem, I just had the wrong sequence setting, doh!

I guess I need stop relying on software to do the right thing.

I knew it was something like that, I just had to fiddle with it and make a dozen or so DVDs.

I just have to remember, always line up my project settings with my fcp sequence settings and I am good to go.

I also found out you can import motion projects right in FCP which I am sure is common knowledge around here. I think the quality is just about as good as the animation codec but it seems more render intensive if I am not mistaken.

Thanks again, I am glad I got around this. This project is due tomorrow!

Jonathan