View Full Version : Dropped my "new" GL2

Kevin Laster
April 23rd, 2007, 08:48 AM
My band was filming our music video during a live show and my "new" GL2 was elected to be put on the boom since the other cameras that we were working with wouldn't fit. Halfway during our set, the boom bracket fell off with my camera on it. It hit a girl on the way down, which, needless to say, probably saved my camera from ultimate doom.

The camera APPEARS to be totally fine. Every function seems to work, it records and plays back fine. The only thing I know that is wrong with it is that the bottom casing part where a tripod would screw in is severly cracked and messed up. Luckily, it looks as if I can unscrew it and replace it. Are there any stores or anything that I can purchase this part, or is it more difficult then that?

(BTW, I say "new" GL2 because even though this camera was slightly used when I purchased it, I only had it for 4 days before this happened. First post on DVinfo, too ^_^!)

Mark Holland
April 23rd, 2007, 09:25 AM
Hmm...how's the girl? No law suits I hope? :-)

Well, first, congrats on your 'new' camera. It's a good one! Enjoy!

Next, there may be somewhere to buy those kinds of repair parts, but if there is, I don't know about it. Anyway, if I knew about it, I'd still probably send it back to Canon for the repairs. Since you bought it second hand AND it's been dropped, there's a good chance you'll need more than just the plate replaced. Canon will go through it and make sure everything is up to factory specs bafore they send it back. For me, I've nothing but good experiences using Canon Factory Service.

Mark