View Full Version : GL-2 power off?

Matt Williams
April 26th, 2007, 08:46 AM
I have had my GL-2 for 3 years now and for some reason now and then (more when it is cold out) the camera just powers down and then turns back on? Even when I am recording and this is not good at all! Has anyone else have this problem? It will not do it all the time and I called Canon they told me to send it in but what if it won't do it when they have it I get charged for cleaning or something and still have the same problem. HELP!!!

Mark Holland
April 26th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Have you been using the same batteries the whole 3 years? You might need to clean the battery connections on the camera as well as on the battery. Use a pencil eraser or something similar that will slightly buff the contacts to a shine (as opposed to the current dull sheen) It may not completely cure your problem, but then again it might, and it won't cost you anything to try...

Matt Williams
April 26th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Great idea! Thanks!

Mark Holland
April 26th, 2007, 11:35 AM
You're welcome...let us know how it goes!

Michael Pulcinella
April 26th, 2007, 12:19 PM
I have the same problem. In another thread I read of someone pushing the power switch from the video to the play position 15-20 times with no battery attached. I did this and the shut off problem stopped...for a while. When it comes back I do it again. It still happens from time to time (the worst is in the cold) but not nearly as often as it used to.

Corey Quenneville
April 27th, 2007, 01:22 AM
Alot of people have ran into this problem. There was a post about a year ago with over 100+ people having the same issue. I don't think it has anything to do with the batteries. It's some kind of internal thing. Does your camera have any kind of extended warranty? If so your most likely in luck. My camera has been replaced by Canon 3-4 times with new units due to this. When I say new I mean "refurbished" but hey, I'd rather have something that works.. rather then it shutting off every 2 minutes. I remember when my first original store-bought gl2 started doing this, it was in the dead of winter.. A few other times, it started in the summer. So I don't know if the weather is all of the cause. So I encourage you to contact Canon Service.. you might have to fork a little bit of money considering your camera is three years old. It really depends on if you have a warranty. If you can afford to be with out a camera for a few weeks, send it.. atleast get a diagnosis. If they want more then 6-700 you'd be better off getting a new one. Just keep on them and hopefully you will get your issues worked out. Let us know what happens. Good Luck!

Don Palomaki
April 27th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Possible dirt/corrosion on the power switch could cause this sort of issue, and the reported cycling of the switch may have had the effect of cleaning it.

Similarly issues with battery terminals might induce this sort of behavior.

Matt Williams
April 27th, 2007, 12:12 PM
I am filming a turkey hunt this weekend and I hope I don't have a problem! I will call Canon and keep you up to date on what they say. Thanks again!

Tim OBrien
April 27th, 2007, 07:43 PM
If you've been using the same battery, you have to remember that rechargables are only good for so long/or so many recharges.

Try another battery and if that solves your problem, then you wont have to return the cam....