View Full Version : Exporting file extension....

Randall Allen
May 4th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Until recently I have always exported from Edius to a m2p file for playback from my mpeg player. That player was fine with the m2p file extension and all was good in the world. Last month the player died and we replaced it with a newer model from a different manufacturer and the new player will not recognize the m2p extension. No problem ren *.m2p *.mpg and the files play fine. No re-encoding needed yahoo all is good.

How can I get Edius/Procoder to export with the .mpg extension?

Randy

Ted Ramasola
May 4th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Randy,

First question, when you say mpeg player, do you mean a standalone desktop device that plays back mpeg files like a set top vcr? Or a software mpeg player in a PC like windows media player?

If its just software, you can always rename the .m2p extension and type .mpg instead.

Also, if its software, windows media ver.9 plays back .m2p files. Tho a pop up would say that wmp doesnt recognize this extension, there is a question at the end saying "Do you want the player to try to play the file?" click YES.

Ted

Randall Allen
May 4th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Ted:

Thanks for the reply.

"Last month the player died and we replaced it with a newer model from a different manufacturer..."

It is not software based. In fact it is the new Leightronix Mini-T-NX.

"... you can always rename the .m2p extension and type .mpg instead."

No doubt, and I have already set up a cron job to "ren *.m2p *.mpg" on a nightly basis while I find a more suitable solution to getting the correct file extension out of the program to begin with. What I seek is how to rename the extension when the file is created instead of having to do it later.

Any other suggestions?

Randy