View Full Version : Longevity question

Tony Marino
May 26th, 2007, 07:19 AM
This may seem like a silly question. Does it hurt the GL-2 to have it in a car taking trips for a couple of hours as long as the temperature is not too hot or cold. I don't leave it in the car, but wonder if the normal vibration of the car can eventually damage the unit.

Thanks,
Tony

Mike Donley
May 26th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Are your tires out of balance? Do you tend to hit every pot hole? Do you like to drive over all the illuminated lane markers? Just kidding! A 24-hour trip in your car would not adversely affect your camera. Things you should do: Store in the car where sun will not shine on it directly. Where an air vent will not blow directly on it. Where there won't be an major magnetic fields (not sure in any exist in a car, but I do avoid putting my camera near a stereo speaker-maybe you have one of those cazillion watt systems?) Don't pack a lot of heavy stuff on top of the case. Open a window slightly when parked for a for a long rest stop. If there will be periods of extreme humidiity, put the camera, case and all, into a sealed plastic bag. There are also pouches (silica?) that you can place in the camera case to assorb humidity.

Seriously, I've traveled six-hours one way with all the equipment for a 3-camera wedding, during 95 degree, humid weather, while only taking common sense precautions. The cameras were in the back of a Honda CRV on top of all the other equipment, but covered with some of our hang-up clothes to protect from sunlight. I've also taken a cheaper family camcorder on 24-hour all night drives. No problems.

Mark Holland
May 30th, 2007, 08:47 AM
... Does it hurt the GL-2 to have it in a car taking trips for a couple of hours as long as the temperature is not too hot or cold... wonder if the normal vibration of the car can eventually damage the unit...

You should be fine. Mine rides in a padded case, in the passenger area. I usually set the AC to where I'm comfortable. I never leave the tapes in the vehicle for longer than a quick bathroom stop. If I stop for a meal, the tapes sit on the table with me.

Tim OBrien
June 4th, 2007, 04:39 PM
I've gone all the way up and down the eastern seaboard (Florida to D.C. to Ohio and back - 4000miles roundtrip) several times with no problems.

I use a foam-lined backpack inside a hardshell pilot suitcase; very well protected from shock and it doesn't look like an expensive (steal-able) item....