View Full Version : ADVC-110 Audio Playback/Preview Question

Seth Peterson
March 30th, 2003, 05:00 PM
Kinda newby to PC editing. I want to watch playback in Premiere 6.5 through my Sony production monitor and need a DV converter (dont want to use my camera). Will the Canopus converter's codec cause any problems with Premiere or XP? What about the Dazzle. Although what I've read and heard puts Canopus as the leader.

Richard Alvarez
March 30th, 2003, 06:04 PM
I use the canopus with Avid XpressDv. Rock solid

Seth Peterson
March 30th, 2003, 07:07 PM
I know it works well with Avid, but what about using it to watch playback through a PVM-14N5U via Premiere?

Kevin Foristal
March 30th, 2003, 07:11 PM
I use the advc-100 with prem 6.5 and I NEVER have a glitch. The onboard codec does an absolutely wonerful job.

Seth Peterson
March 30th, 2003, 07:15 PM
Anybody use it to convert DV to analog. Such as watching playback on a production monitor?

Harry Settle
March 30th, 2003, 08:42 PM
I use my ADVC-100 in both directions. Capture analog to digital, and then back out for recording to vhs, or watching on a monitor.

Harry Settle
March 30th, 2003, 08:45 PM
By the way. . . go to forums for Dazzle and Canopus and you will see a trend. One will feature people trying to solve problem after problem, and the other with people socializing and sharing ideas. Your choice, then, should be obvious.

Yi Fong Yu
December 1st, 2003, 01:21 PM
and i know you're gonna ask me what the application is. and it is this:

i already own a workstation that can edit DV. i also own a sony hi8 (TRV 65 i believe) cam. my purpose is i wanna make short movies.

as of right now, if i get the Canopus capture device i can shoot on my hi8, capture to computer then edit and burn DVD and voila, i'm done.

on the other hand, it's pretty much etched in stone that i'm gonna get the Canon xl1s, it's only a matter of time. i've been asking when as the time wears on and seeing that Canon has decided to give a $500 rebate on purchases made before 1/31/2004 i think it could be a sign from above to buy it between now and then.

so what should i do? on one hand i already have a cam that shoots comparable quality, all i need is a capture device. on the other hand if i 'upgrade' to xl1s i'll be getting less 'strange looks' from my troup of actors/actresses on my production. what would ya do?

cost isn't really an object.

Richard Alvarez
December 1st, 2003, 02:26 PM
"Cost isn't really an object"

Then buy the canopus first, the xl1s second, and a dsr-11 third.

J. Clayton Stansberry
December 1st, 2003, 03:37 PM
If cost isn't the object, get both! Your looking at $300 for the ADVC100 versus $3500 for the XL1s. And, if all you need is a capture device, there are many others for less than $100 (not as good as the canopus). Use the rebate to get the capture device!

Yi Fong Yu
December 1st, 2003, 11:35 PM
but ain't it redundant? if i get the xl1s i can simply dub hi8 onto the xl1s and then DV into the computer.

Glenn Chan
December 1st, 2003, 11:50 PM
You don't even need to dub onto tape, the XL1s should be able to do digital-analog passthrough and let you record DV onto the computer.

The Canopus box should handle messed up timecode better though. And it has better quality conversion (perhaps not noticeable).

Andrew Kiu
April 25th, 2004, 09:01 PM
I very interested to buy Canopus DVRaptor RT2 max with Edius 2. My concern was which is the campatible 5 -1.4” bay for my configuration ADVC-1394 bay or ADVC-50 bay? Will ADVC-1394 fix my DVraptor RT2 max Card????? or Must use ADVC-50...

Jay Silver
June 6th, 2005, 09:50 AM
I was playing around with one this weekend and it started out fine, with only one light on (the digital in indicator) but now all three lights are permanently on and nothing seems to be getting through.

I've searched the web and the lousy support portion of the Canopus site and I can't find anything definitive.

So, has anyone else achieved this? Did you have to buy a new one?

-j

Richard Alvarez
June 6th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Jay,

Sounds fried... but check first. Unplug and let sit for a minute, then replug. Check the tiny dipswitches on the bottom, make sure they are set correctly for your situation. Then press and hold the dv select button for a few seconds, see if you get bars generated.

If it still stays dead... call a priest.

K. Forman
June 6th, 2005, 04:07 PM
I've never used the ADVC, but I did fry my Storm board. After 2 years or so, I sent it in, and they sent me a new one. I'm a fan ;)

Laurence Kingston
June 7th, 2005, 09:25 PM
I just got my ADVC-100 back from repair at Canopus about two weeks ago. They fixed it for free.

I questioned the repair tech and he told me that there is a bit of a design flaw with the six pin firewire input where if you hotplug it, the pins with the power can send voltage to the logic pins and fry the box. The solution is either to use the four pin jack or make sure the ADVC-100 is powered off when plugging in the firewire connector. He also said that later Conopus firewire capture boxes don't have this problem.

John Schuh
June 7th, 2007, 06:16 AM
For those using ADVC-110 to capture analog,
what is your set-up for previewing?
(I'm editing with Adobe Elements)

I'm getting a strange 'feedback' noise (high-pitch) from TV.

My set-up:

1) Playing VHS thru Panasonic AG-1970 VCR (w/TBC)
(S-Vid, Comp.Audio OUT from RR to FRT of ADVC-110)

2) Firewire (6-pin) from RR of ADVC-110 to PC

3) Comp.A/V(out) from RR of ADVC-110(out) to VCR (in)(FRT)
(VCR input A2)

4) Comp.A/V(out) from RR of VCR (out) to TV/Monitor (in)

How do you Capture & Preview what you're capturing as well as what you have in your Project/Timeline?

John Portharcourt
November 15th, 2007, 01:26 PM
I use my ADVC-100 in both directions. Capture analog to digital, and then back out for recording to vhs, or watching on a monitor.

Hi Harry,

Since u are very used to ADVC100 or 110, does this output analog footage (say, avi format) from PC to TV without first rendering the footage?

Your reply will ease me a great stress.

Thanks - John