View Full Version : beachtek and gl2 question

Ger Griffin
June 14th, 2007, 03:41 PM
hey, this is an audio related question but i figure your good selves
will be a better shot.

can i use the beachtek DXA-4P
adaptor to send my rode videomic(minijack) to the left channel and then any xlr feed in to the right on my xm2/gl2,

or does it have to be 2 xlr inputs?

Graham Bernard
June 14th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Ger - I have the exact same "option" to setup. On the face of it, I really don't see why not?

It's too late tonight .. I'll do it first thing in the morning.

If all else fails - which it SHOULDN'T do! - I do have a Mini-to-XLR adaptor. Looks like a bullet - costs about £5.

Grazie

Shayne Weyker
June 14th, 2007, 05:12 PM
I know from experience with my GL2 that the videomic *doesn't work* with the beachtek 2S or the similar sign video xlr pro when using the mini input to the box (nor does mini from a wireless receiver for that matter).

My wireless receiver using a mini-to-xlr cable does work through the box so the videomic probably will too with a mini-to-XLR adapter.

Which brings up the question, what are those mini-inputs on the box for anyway? Line-level stuff?

--Shayne

Graham Bernard
June 15th, 2007, 01:59 AM
I know from experience with my GL2 that the videomic *doesn't work* with the beachtek 2S or the similar sign video xlr pro when using the mini input to the box (nor does mini from a wireless receiver for that matter).

My wireless receiver using a mini-to-xlr cable does work through the box so the videomic probably will too with a mini-to-XLR adapter.

Which brings up the question, what are those mini-inputs on the box for anyway? Line-level stuff?

--Shayne

Here is what Beachtek say on the matter of the DXA4P AUX:

http://www.beachtek.com/pdf/DXA-4instructions_revised.pdf

"AUX Input
To attach audio devices with mini-jack connectors, use the AUX input on the adapter. This sends the signal to the right input and you should therefore disconnect any cables from the right XLR connector to avoid interference."

So, this at least confirms directly from Beachtek that for a MINI Jack this is an option. I did remember reading this in the past, and when I read this post, last night, I went back this morning to reassure myself.

Well, I don't know if you knew this, but, the Rode Videomic is fitted with a Stereo mini jack plug - Ø3.5 mm.:

http://www.rodemic.com/?pagename=Products&product=VideoMic&type=specifications

So, what is needed, IF I don't go down the Rode>XLR adaptor route, AND I have tested this, is an INLINE Stereo-to-Mono 3.5 adaptor. I shall take this up with another supplier and Rode if necessary, to ensure I'm "stumbling" along the "correct" avenue.

Here are my tests I promised to do:

#1- MONO-MiniJAck Mic to BeachTek Aux-IN - WORKS.

#2- Senni Rx thru Stereo-Mini-Jack>MonoJack-Convertor to BeachTek Aux-IN - WORKS

#3- Rode VideoMic thru Stereo-Mini-Jack>MonoJack-Convertor to BeachTek Aux-IN - WORKS

So, at least for my DXA4P it's fine. But I can't comment on your units:

--Shayne

This AUX is most definitely an option BUT for MONO-mini jack inputs. How useful? - Eh? Well I suppose I COULD put my Rx into the front . . but my Senni already comes with a XLR "out" option. PLUS If I was to use the AUX, I would need to disconnect the RIGHT channel inputs of the XLR anyway. Maybe if there was a real "panic" going on and the ONLY solution was a device that ONLY terminated with a 3.5 Jack (if I had a convertor in my bag I could also take on a stereo mini-jack!)

I kinda believed that the AUX was an option. I just needed to TEST before I spoke up.

One final VISUAL test is to look directly at the Rode VideoMic plug? TIP+SHIELD+RING. Now look at a mono 3.5 plug? TIP+SHIELD. So it would appear that the AUX is only WANTING a MONO input. Now that makes sense - I really can't imagine why BT would assume I'd be putting a Stereo-Mini in there?

Which, leads me onto asking why have Stereo Jacks on, what are, essentially, MONO devices - that is the Senni RX and the RodeVideo Mic?

My crude understanding of these matters would be to conclude that it is to give a better acoustic transfer performance and/or to ALLOW both channels to be flooded with the "mono" signal, just in case there are input situations that would not allow ONE channel to work?

This is outside my narrow understanding of these things, and would like to hear comments from more experienced audio people than I.

Finally, and just to be "Belt-N-Braces" would somebody else care to test the procedure I executed?

Thanks,

Best regards,

Grazie

Ger Griffin
June 15th, 2007, 10:14 AM
thanks for the your informative answers Graham and Shane.

In my current situation I have the Videomic and no beachtek.
Obviously this setup alone is not enough.

I have been toying with the idea of waiting for and then using the "zoom h2"
but with the syncing issues this method would present in post I think a direct feed into camera is probably the only way to go.
Perhaps the zoom h2 could be used as a backup device.

So guys with the knowledge, if i do manage to send the videomic to the right, is one XLR (into left) from a mixing desk enough? will i lose half the sound? or can desks send out a mono feed via 1 xlr cable?

David Ennis
June 19th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I think I can clear this one up. It really all does make sense.

First of all, Ger, a single XLR will indeed carry a mono signal to the box. A switch on the box will send that signal to one channel ("stereo" switch position) or to both channels ("mono" switch position). The labels may sound counterintuitive, but think of it this way: In the "stereo" position, the box expects a different signal to be appled to each XLR input with one routed to the left and the other to the right.

Meanwhile, the Rode VideoMic has a miniplug that is designed to go right into a cam's stereo minijack. So it puts the same signal on the tip and the ring of the plug so that the mono signal will appear in both channels for the convenience of the user.

But also meanwhile, the Beachtek box is a balanced input device and expects the signal to be the difference between the tip and the ring. Since there is no difference with the Rode, you hear nothing.

--
Dave

Graham Bernard
June 19th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Dave, yes. Far more eloquently put than I!

It was your "Meanwhile, the Rode VideoMic has a miniplug that is designed to go right into a cam's stereo minijack. So it puts the same signal on the tip and the ring of the plug so that the mono signal will appear in both channels for the convenience of the user."

Yup, I can see that.

Regards,

Grazie

Shayne Weyker
June 20th, 2007, 09:25 AM
So does anyone know where to find a stereo mini to mono mini adapter? I couldn't find anything at radio shack or b&h.

Shayne
http://weykervideo.com

David Ennis
June 20th, 2007, 03:02 PM
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102669&cp=&sr=1&origkw=mono+stereo+adapter&kw=mono+stereo+adapter&parentPage=search

Ger Griffin
June 21st, 2007, 02:53 PM
thanks very much for the help guys.
i was worried i had wasted my money on the video mic. at least now i know i can use a combination of it with xlr thanks to beachtek.

just while im on this subject, how long can an xlr lead be and what are the implications of it being too long?

David Ennis
June 21st, 2007, 03:31 PM
Loss of voltage due to power dissipation in the resistance of the conductors is the main direct consequence of length.

But when there is only a small amount of electric current flowing, as is the case in modern mic in and line in circuits, voltage can be carried a long distance with little loss. Runs of several hundred feet of XLR cable can be used when necessary.

Ger Griffin
June 21st, 2007, 06:05 PM
thanks again david