View Full Version : FCE vs FCS2

Tobin Strickland
July 5th, 2007, 11:26 AM
I am a newbie...so perhaps I just have something set up wrong...but it sounds like both of these programs have importing issues. Are there good programs for video editing on a mac book pro 2.16 core duo that don't have these problems.

Set up
MBP 2.16, 2gigs Ram, FCE 3.5, 1T Mybook, Xh A1, DVHS Cap

Chris Harris
July 5th, 2007, 11:30 AM
What kind of importing issues are you having?

Tobin Strickland
July 6th, 2007, 09:38 AM
I think I have it figured out now after talking to apple.

I do wish there was a way to capture only the clips I want instead of captureing the whole tape then editing.

Jim Fields
July 6th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Yes, it is called Log and Capture, and it can be time consuming. Once you do it a few times, you can do it with your eyes closed.

Boyd Ostroff
July 6th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Yes, it is called Log and Capture

Unless they have changed it in the new version, Final Cut Express (which Tobin says he's using) doesn't have the Log and Capture function.

Tobin Strickland
July 6th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Exactly, I have to shuttle the tape on the camera then 'capture now'. That's the only way to capture individual clips in HDV.

Can you log and capture in FCS2? Is it simple and relatively painless?

(IMovieHD was incredibly easy to log and capture...but don't want the compression). DVHS cap wasn't bad but it seemed it lost come coding on windscreening and image stabilization...somehow that doesn't possible.

Jim Fields
July 6th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Unless they have changed it in the new version, Final Cut Express (which Tobin says he's using) doesn't have the Log and Capture function.

I did not know this, I have never so much as looked at FCE

Yes Tobin, FCS2 has a very nice log and capture that will allow you to log clips via timecode and batch capture only what you want from a tape.

Tobin Strickland
July 8th, 2007, 03:57 PM
So, to understand this process, let me summarize what I think you are saying.

You log the tape and write down the time codes start stop of each clip you want. Then input all those start stops into 'log and capture' and then batch capture captures all the clips as seperate clips at one time?

Right now with FCE I have to watch the tape find all my in out times, place the tape at each start, capture, stop...then move to the next one. Ugghhhhh.

This might be worth the money right there...thoughts?

David Garvin
July 8th, 2007, 04:24 PM
So, to understand this process, let me summarize what I think you are saying.

You log the tape and write down the time codes start stop of each clip you want. Then input all those start stops into 'log and capture' and then batch capture captures all the clips as seperate clips at one time?

You could do it that way, but the easiest way is that you put the tape in and start playing it. You hit "I" for every in point "O" for every outpoint and then have it log the clip. It puts a clip into your browser window every time you log one. Of course it has no media yet, but it just appears as an offline clip.

Then, after you've gone through the whole tape and logged the clips, you have FCP batch capture each clip and you walk away while it starts captures stops, starts captures stops, starts captures stops....

Tobin Strickland
July 8th, 2007, 05:11 PM
I think that would be worth it for what I am doing.
Thanks for all the input.