View Full Version : Apple TV for HDMI output to HD TV

Kalunga Lima
July 7th, 2007, 01:40 AM
I'm setting up an 8-Core MacPro for editing with Final Cut Studio 2 and was wondering if I could use an Apple TV to output to a 42" HDMI TV for clients to view finished the finished work (we are shooting in 1080/50i with XDCam).

thanks

Chris Harris
July 7th, 2007, 02:52 AM
You could. Keep in mind that the maximum output on an Apple TV is 720p. If you have an extra DVI output on your Mac Pro, you could get a DVI to HDMI cable and hook it up right to your HDTV.

Kalunga Lima
July 7th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Thanks Chris, I didn't realize that DVI and HDMI were compatible enough only to necessitate a cable (live and learn).

Yesterday in an Apple store I was looking at an Apple TV box, and it seemed to indicate 1080/50i output? For some reason, however, Apply TV specs are not available on the apple.com site, so I can't seem to verify. I'm curious to know if anyone out there is playing out HD content form a Final Cup Pro timeline to a HDMI full HD TV either via a DVI?HDMI cable, via Apply TV.

Charles Gerungan
August 26th, 2007, 03:20 AM
If you have an extra DVI output on your Mac Pro, you could get a DVI to HDMI cable and hook it up right to your HDTV.

I also didn't know this. Thanks again for this tip. Just ordered a cable.

Greg Boston
August 26th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Thanks Chris, I didn't realize that DVI and HDMI were compatible enough only to necessitate a cable (live and learn).

Yesterday in an Apple store I was looking at an Apple TV box, and it seemed to indicate 1080/50i output? For some reason, however, Apply TV specs are not available on the apple.com site, so I can't seem to verify. I'm curious to know if anyone out there is playing out HD content form a Final Cup Pro timeline to a HDMI full HD TV either via a DVI?HDMI cable, via Apply TV.

It will output a 1080i signal to the display device. That's how mine is set up. However, the image is being scaled up (quite nicely I might add) from 1280x720 if the source is at 24fps, or, 960x540 if the source is 30P or 60i.

I suspect, but am not sure that for 50hz countries, it would do 25P at 1280x720, and 50i at the lower resolution.

I haven't tried setting the output to 720P for feeding the display. Might make for a better picture with less scaling involved.

-gb-

Charles Papert
September 2nd, 2007, 03:13 PM
I know there are a few flavors of DVI out there connector-wise (very confusing). Does anyone know if it is possible for my aging 15" G4 Powerbook to be able to output 720p out of FCP6 into a display via HDMI, simply with a cable?

thanks,

Chas

Charles Papert
September 2nd, 2007, 03:23 PM
...and discovering now that this will not pass audio into the HDMI cable, which makes things a bit complicated for my home theater interface, so I might be better off with a DVI to component video connection...also easy?

Klaas van Urk
September 2nd, 2007, 04:09 PM
To play HD video on a HDMI tv / monitor. You need a computer with DVI-D monitor output and a DVI to HDMI cable. I use a Mac Mini (DualCore) to drive all kinds of HD-ready screens. I compress my 1080p25 video's with the H264 or the HDV codec in QuickTime. To play the HD movies on PC's I compress with the WMV-9 codec from Popwire.com. The results are very good. We use these set-ups to play HD video's on exhibitions. To play the sound you need a cable from the sound-out port from your PC / Mac to the sound-in port of your HD tv. You can obtain these very easily in electronic stores. Before you make promises to clients. Check, try and recompress. Clients often have PC's with very weak video boards or analoge monitor output. They rent a HD screen and forget to ask for HDMI inputs. Or think a Windows 2000 PC will do the job... So, check, try and recompress until everything works fine. Enjoy!