View Full Version : New cameras - 1080p+? Flash Disk Based?

Tyson Perkins
July 8th, 2007, 11:36 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone can offer me any kind of insight into the future direction of JVC - are they going to add 1080p camcorders to their line in order to compete with companies like Sony and Panasonic? and, in the same vein, will they be looking into alternative recording mediums as the afforementioned companies are?

Rumour, as well as speculation, is welcome. I just want to hear what people think on the matter..

Tyson Perkins
July 13th, 2007, 02:27 AM
No-one has anything to add?

Antony Michael Wilson
July 13th, 2007, 02:33 AM
Well, we've had a few discussions on the 720p v. 1080i (and 1080PsF) issue here a few times. One can argue that the ProHD line already competes and compares very favourably to the Sony and Canon HDV2 and some XDCAM and DVCPro HD gear already, for various technical reasons. I'm not sure HDV2 or even HDCAM qualify as particularly convincing 1080p solutions anyway. I'd run a search on this if I were you. That said, I'd be surprised if JVC did not have plans to enter the 1080 world at some point. Let's just hope they'll wait until they can offer true 1920x1080 progressive scan and capture!!

Stephan Ahonen
July 13th, 2007, 02:45 AM
1080's not a convincing format for me until there is widespread support for 1080p60. It's the 21st century, interlacing should be dead by now.

Tyson Perkins
July 13th, 2007, 02:56 AM
Yes i agree.

Antony Michael Wilson
July 13th, 2007, 03:06 AM
Absolutely. That's what I mean: Let's hope JVC don't move into 1080 until they can offer true 1920x1080 progressive chips and codec at low frame rates for film-out/film look but - most importantly - 50/60fps. 1080p/50 and 60 makes the most sense, really. For now, I'll take ProHD over 1080i for most of what I need.

Stephan Ahonen
July 13th, 2007, 05:02 AM
Also Re: Flash, I'd rather stick with tape until flash is as practical as tape in real world shooting situations. When I shoot a sporting event I'll usually bring three 1-hour tapes. This means at most I will have to change tapes two times during the entire event (in most cases I'll only use two tapes, third is a backup), and the cost is negligible.

Flash won't be ready until I can do the same thing. I understand that flash will be a little more expensive because it's reusable, but the cost difference should be closer to film vs. CF for still photography. An hour of storage shouldn't cost more than you paid for the camera in the first place.

Antony Michael Wilson
July 13th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Agreed. Data corruption also seems to be more common and/or serious on HDD or flash capture than tape drop-out on well-maintained heads. The economics and the confidence factor are just not there yet, for me.

Joe Carney
August 10th, 2007, 03:00 PM
I would like to see 1080p at 24/25/30 recording to a removable HD and not the firestore. Tapeless is the future. I would risk it. And under 10K w/o a lens.
The new fast cf cards are worth looking at too.

I don't think it will happen, but we can dream.

Stephen L. Noe
August 10th, 2007, 07:01 PM
As you may know, JVC was recently bought out by Kenwood. Let's see where the dust settles and if they finally do come out with the 7000 (AKA next camera) by NAB.

Joe Carney
August 13th, 2007, 03:18 PM
But we know very little about the ramifications about that. Kenwood is about really good consumer audio aren't they?
I can see them trying to compete with the HV20, but serving the needs of the ENG and independent film maker groups? We will see.