View Full Version : Blue pixel on my LCD screen...

Ryan Krga
April 25th, 2003, 06:43 PM
I haven't noticed this on the camera until yesterday when I took out the camera in pitch black. I flipped open the LCD and saw a blue pixel in the top right corner. It doesnt come up in the view finder so I know there is nothing wrong with the lens.

Should I send the camera to Canon or is there another way to go about getting it fixed?

Thank you,
Ryan Krga

Alex Knappenberger
April 25th, 2003, 06:48 PM
Yeah...If it's not on the CCD (noticed in the video) then it's not that big of a deal. Hopefully you can live with it, right? It's not worth sending it to Canon and waiting 3 months to get it fixed. If it was a dead pixel on the CCD, then that would be a big problem...

Ryan Krga
April 25th, 2003, 07:01 PM
Here is a picture of it. The quality is kind of crappy, but it shows the pixel good enough.

http://www.visital.com/random/pixel.jpg

Barry Goyette
April 25th, 2003, 07:03 PM
Ryan

Do a search for "dead pixel" and you'll find a lot of discussion about various members problems with this. It is not uncommon, in fact, 1 dead pixel is well within the industry norm for lcd screens. If it bugs you, you can have it masked by canon (shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks), but as it really has no impact on the quality of your video, or the operation of the camera, I wouldn't sweat it.

Barry

Ryan Krga
April 25th, 2003, 07:08 PM
Alright, I think I'm just going to stick with it, thanks for the replies Alex and Barry.

Don Palomaki
April 26th, 2003, 04:25 AM
A few years ago, the standard for laptop PC was something like no more than 17 dead or hot pixels, as long as they are not grouped or clumped together.

Chris Hurd
April 26th, 2003, 07:14 AM
Canon guarantees their LCD screens to have 99.97% live pixels, so one or two dead pixels is well within acceptable norms. Luckily for you, it's up in the corner. And, since it's in the flip-out view screen and not in the CCD image sensor, it shouldn't be considered a problem. Canon will repair dead pixels in the image sensor, but won't bother with dead pixels in the LCD view screen as it's a very common thing and not really considered a defect. Hope this helps,