View Full Version : GL2 with a dolly

Tatsuya Graham
July 12th, 2007, 08:14 AM
This is a short test using a dolly and filmed with a GL2. ...I am not very pleased with what I came out with..The main thing that I didnt like is how the sunlight interfiered with the subject, which is my older sister.... You will notice that When she is infront of the window, the image is over exposed...

I know how to fix, the problem..I should have messed with the settings before filming...O well.

Hope you enjoy,
Tell me what you think.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DvSdazLJK2E

Tatsuya Graham
July 12th, 2007, 08:20 AM
I posted a comment on someones youtube page about some pro cameras and I listed the GL2...And someone responded to it saying, "The GL2 is nowhere near pro camera the gl2 is only for consumers, blah blah blah...and some stuff like that...
We had an ongoing battle about this, you can see some of his comments on my youtube page...He got to the point where he decided to be a douchbag and start rating all my videos as poor...That made me soo mad....But anyway..I hope he is wrong about the GL2

Is the GL2 a Pro or Consumer camera?

Ger Griffin
July 12th, 2007, 08:32 AM
anyone who would rate that video or the canon xm2 as poor doesn't know what theyre talking about. thats the problem with showcasing your work with the world as they remain annonymous. you gonna bump into all kinds of ***holes just like walking down the street.

Ger Griffin
July 12th, 2007, 08:37 AM
the gl2 can achieve pro results with correct use.
it has the potential. just because it is available on a consumer budget doesn't exclude it from professionals in all aspects of the business. the only reason people choose the xl2 over it is for the interchangeable lens ability. also the widescreen or lack of it on the gl2 is probably its main drawback these days.

Merlin Vandenbossche
July 12th, 2007, 08:45 AM
This guy rating your videos poorly is in fact just acting childish. I consider anything with a decent manual exposure control and some control over the image looks as being "prosumer" rather than looking at prices. I have a friend that owns a DVX100 (more expensive with more features and considered a very popular prosumer) which on some occasions I do multicam with. He's gotten more experience with cams than I do and feels the GL2 definetaly equals the image quality he gets from the DVX. And always remember that a lot of the feel to an image is achieved by more than just the piece of equipment you use (lighting (!!), colour correction, the mise-en-scene). Is that dolly you used homemade? In case it is, care to share the secret? I really liked your travelling movement. I've used wheelchairs before but never got a true satisfactory result.

BTW: (on your youtube profile) Don't be ashamed to like Amélie Poulin; it's a masterpiece of Western cinema. One of those films with a sincere feeling of hope to give you that little sparkle you need in life. (Be sure to also check out Jeunet's earlier film called "Delicatessen")

EDIT: never mind about the dolly question. Foud it through your youtube profile. Good work!

Don Palomaki
July 12th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Keep in mind that it is the user that is professional, or amateur, or what ever, not necessarily the equipment.

But equipment does tend to have features that appeal to certain levels/types of users. Among of the tricks to being professional is the ability to select the equipment that is appropriate to the task at hand and to use it well to produce the desired results.